The News
This topic has moved here: Subject: Bungie Announces Independence: Press Release
  • Subject: Bungie Announces Independence: Press Release
Subject: Bungie Announces Independence: Press Release

Bungie is pleased to announce its new status as an independent developer with a continuing and mutually prosperous publishing relationship with Microsoft Game Studios.

click for full story

• 10.05.2007 8:26 AM PDT
  •  | 
  • Exalted Mythic Member

Yay

• 10.05.2007 8:33 AM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:
  • last post: 01.01.0001 12:00 AM PDT

Well Congrats on this new direction you took. It would be great to see new IP from you guys! I just dont want any PS3 Fanboys to enjoy you games. So keep it in the xbox 360 and PC only.

• 10.05.2007 8:34 AM PDT

Finishing the fight since 1988!

The Column Underground: Made of Win

Posted by: JROCK420
Sweet. Does this mean we will be seeing some more games for Mac again?

theres a 3 step program for this problem.

1. read the article (or really just the OP)
2. stop, think.
3. post.

Theyre just independant now, but still making titles for Microsoft platforms.

EDIT: this also goes for Cyro 117

EDIT AGAIN: Apparently this goes for everyone. Sigh. (written after I saw archangels post)

[Edited on 10.05.2007 8:40 AM PDT]

• 10.05.2007 8:36 AM PDT

I'm pleased if this means that the guys at Bungie are excited about making games, The last thing I would want is for it to be a drag to make more Halo games, although I would want 10 more. It will just be weird to see a Bunige game on PS3.
Congrats to all Bungie guys who have given me as well as many many others so many late nights of good times with my friends and new friends.

Paul

• 10.05.2007 8:36 AM PDT

High-fives followed by Low-fives. I am happy that you are living the dream. Good job guys.

• 10.05.2007 8:37 AM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:

does this mean step 6 is done?
bungie 7 step plan

• 10.05.2007 8:37 AM PDT

AND THUS IS LIFE

Sweet i am excited for you guys. I can't wait to see your new ip. I love HALO, but I know there is more to Bungie then just HALO. Good luck with everything

• 10.05.2007 8:44 AM PDT

In ages past the hand of time
Has hindered our migration,
But it cannot slow the will of faith
In times of confrontation.
Let all those worthy walk the path
Where we shall all soon meet.
For what once was lost, now is found
And our journey is complete.

Heheheh.

It has begun.

Your destruction is the will of the Gods, and we are their instrument. We are the Halo Nation.

[Edited on 10.05.2007 8:49 AM PDT]

• 10.05.2007 8:44 AM PDT
  •  | 
  • Exalted Legendary Member

Congrats on your new found, or should I say, re-established indy status. I hope it opens up the vents of creativity you guys so richly crave.

• 10.05.2007 8:45 AM PDT

Posted by: HaloHero II
Sweet. Does this mean we will be seeing some more games for Mac again?

Theyre just independant now, but still making titles for Microsoft platforms.
Yes they said they will still make games for Xbox, but being an independant company means they can make a game for whatever system they want to. What do you think they used to make games for? Where do you think they started?

ARTICLE. READ.

They used to make mac games. i know this because i started visiting bungie in the marathon days. I know where you got the idea, but no. Please read stuff before posting. Maybe sometime in the future they will move to making Mac games. Not now.

• 10.05.2007 8:45 AM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:

I'm happy to hear that it's not a bad break up between Bungie and Microsoft. At least it doesn't sound like a bad break. I love the 360 and Xbox Live and I'll be crushed to see Halo, or really any other Bungie game on a different console. I am excited to see a new Bungie game, but I do still wanna keep playing as that bad ass, Master Chief. Thanks for the incredible ride on the Xbox Bungie. I hope we see each other again soon.

• 10.05.2007 8:50 AM PDT

I work here: Sound Devices, LLC. We make bad-ass field audio gear, and you think that's awesome. My messy desk (With work-related items on the computer screen).

One does not simply grenade jump into Mordor...

If I'm reading that right, it sounds like Bungie will have more control over its art. Congratulations!

• 10.05.2007 8:51 AM PDT

every other virtual=61

ID=?

Congratulations Bungie and Staff! I'm excited to see the direction that you are taking and wilsh you the best of sucess in the future.

The next step in a few years is to issue some stock. When do all of the bungie.net users get their shares of stock? We should at least get a discount on being involved with Bungie's plans for World Domination.

[Edited on 10.05.2007 8:59 AM PDT]

• 10.05.2007 8:54 AM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:

So Bungie is a MS exclusive second party dev now?

Sounds fine to me.

• 10.05.2007 8:54 AM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:

I could hardly believe I was reading this.

This is the best gaming news I have heard for years. I am really happy for you guys. Finally you are an independent force again. This can only be great news for gaming purists like me, and I cant wait to see what you guys come up with in the future.

MS have no idea how lucky they were to have had you work for them. They owe all the success of the xbox to Bungie and the Halo games. Though, please don’t let any of this go to your heads. Keep it real as the saying goes.

• 10.05.2007 8:59 AM PDT

Woot WO0T W0OT!

I'm fine with Bungie going away from MS, but I sure will be depressed if they make games for Macs, or worse...
THE PS3 (I have the Wii, so its okay if you go there)
Yes, i know MS has a small role in Bungie processes, but note that its really Bungie that runs the show!

• 10.05.2007 9:01 AM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:

Posted by: SketchFactor
Yay

Ditto

• 10.05.2007 9:09 AM PDT

This is great news. I was holding my breath when I saw the rumors going around. This will only make Bungie stronger. I bought a XBox just because of the Halo games. I hope microsoft knows how lucky it was to have you. As far as everyone saying that Bungie should not and will not make games for PS3 or Apple I think it is up to them. Bungie started out on Macs but the market is not there for games. I would know I use a mac. I use a console to game with. If they did do games for others it would be a simaltaneous release for all platforms I think. Halo was going to be on both Mac and PC before they were bought out. So it is not hard to see if they want to give a game to PS3, Wii, Macs, PCs and Xbox then they will cover all their basis and be reaching a new audience.

Once again Bravo Bungie! I look forward to your future success. Bring on Pimps at Sea!

• 10.05.2007 9:10 AM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:

Yippie. Now go put Halo 1 multiplayer on XBOX Live Arcade and make a WoW-killer.

kthxbai

• 10.05.2007 9:14 AM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:

That's gotta sting a little bit for MS. I'm excited to see what you guys have up your sleeves next! Congrats.

• 10.05.2007 9:17 AM PDT

Posted by: MadMik95
Once again Bravo Bungie! I look forward to your future success. Bring on Pimps at Sea!

Seconded. I still have the joke poster they had for april fools back in the day with the parrot who had a hook for a head.

As far as everyone saying that Bungie should not and will not make games for PS3 or Apple I think it is up to them.

As far as that goes, technically they do have the option of going to other platforms, but have said they are not planning on doing that for now. They have a working relationship with Microsoft, and really have no reason to go anywhere else.

Halo was going to be on both Mac and PC before they were bought out.

Halo was going to be on PS2 as well, although a staffer (can't remember who offhand) said they never got it working on there either. But the fact with halo: CE is that it was in VERY slow production for many years before it came out, and platform was hardly even considered for a while, just ideas. In fact at one point it was a Third Person Shooter that included a weildable machete and a carriable chaingun.....well the chaingun came back eventually, but the machete did not. (NOTE: The machete was not replaced by the sword. If memory serves, there is a screenshot of an extremely early build that has an MC looking character looking to defend himself from an energy sword weilding alien with his machete. It was kinda obvious who would win that one)

[Edited on 10.05.2007 9:23 AM PDT]

• 10.05.2007 9:21 AM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:

Posted by: SketchFactor
Yay

Somebody get a Grunt headshot?

EDIT: Stage 6 complete!

[Edited on 10.05.2007 9:31 AM PDT]

• 10.05.2007 9:25 AM PDT