Off Topic: The Flood
This topic has moved here: Subject: Mute bans are lame
  • Subject: Mute bans are lame
Subject: Mute bans are lame

They say the pen is mightier than the sword. FU­CK THE PEN! YOU CAN DIE BY THE SWORD!

Moderator Notice: This user has been blacklisted from this forum. Until the user is removed from the blacklist, all posts this user has made have been hidden, and all topics created by this user have been censored.
  • 04.13.2011 10:45 AM PST
Subject: Should try speaking with a representative of Bungie?
  • gamertag: [none]
  • user homepage:

I'm not drunk, all right? I just have a speech impediment ... and a stomach virus ... and an inner ear infection.

Halo Reach?

>_>

• 04.13.2011 10:46 AM PST
  • user homepage:

Well, here we are. I guess that it was destined to come to this.

Freedom to speak =/= a guaranteed audience

Just because you want to talk (and you can talk) there is nothing that allows you to force people to listen to you if they choose not to.

• 04.13.2011 10:48 AM PST
  • user homepage:

Posted by: Loaf
Posted by: Recon Number 54

Just because you want to talk (and you can talk) there is nothing that allows you to force people to listen to you if they choose not to.

I don't feel it's fair that people can mute me just because they don't want to hear me. I don't want to hear other people either and it's not fair that I have to be mute banned. It's unfair to me. I was about to take this to the reach forum.

You think that it would be "fair" that they would have to listen to you even if they don't want to? People who paide the same price for the game, paid the same XBL membership dues, and have the exact same privileges that you do?

What makes you so special that you can decide how their online experience is going to be?

• 04.13.2011 10:54 AM PST

I'm not too fond of the mute ban system myself. Muting another player is a personal choice, not a global one.

• 04.13.2011 11:01 AM PST
Subject: Should I contact a representative of Bungie?
  • user homepage:

I don't feel it's fair that people can mute me just because they don't want to hear me. I don't want to hear other people either and it's not fair that I have to be mute banned. It's unfair to me. I was about to take this to the reach forum.

You think that it would be "fair" that they would have to listen to you even if they don't want to? People who paide the same price for the game, paid the same XBL membership dues, and have the exact same privileges that you do?

What makes you so special that you can decide how their online experience is going to be?

Well sometimes i'm not the one at fault. Sometimes there's circumstances that are unfair, like jerks who can just mute you because they don't want to hear your voice and I feel like my game experience should not be run by other members of the online community, that is not fair.

Everyone has the ability to control their gaming experience. Including what comes out of their speakers. If someone chooses to mute you, that is their decision. You have the exact same ability and it is your choice to use it or not.

I am picturing that you feel you have something "important to say and people should hear it". Imagine going to an open forum or square downtown, standing on a stepladder, and shouting out to the crowd. You would be exercising your right and ability to speak. But you can't MAKE the people who are walking by stop and listen to you. If they choose to keep walking, keep doing what they are doing and ignore you, that is their right, which you have no ability to deny them.

If you are speaking of a voice ban (which I think that you might be) then take the above example and make it so that what you are saying while on top of that stepladder is (in the opinion of the many people walking by) offensive, intrusive, and is "crossing the line" by not just being one other person in the crowd but a disruption to the peaceful goings on in that square. Then, those individuals would be within their right as a part of a civil society to bring your actions to the attention of law enforcement and complain that you are "creating a disturbance". The police could then speak with you and ask you to please tone it down or to move along (similar to a voice ban).

A society has the right to set what it considers to be acceptable guidelines for civil interaction and take steps to eliminate those who do not abide by those mutually agreed upon rules.

[Edited on 04.13.2011 11:07 AM PDT]

• 04.13.2011 11:01 AM PST

I'm going to invade your heart like a barn swallow high on milk chocolate and grandma love.

Fairness is only possible within the limited powers of man. Elsewhere, there is only chance.

Thus I refute thee.

Recon Number 54 is a wise man.

• 04.13.2011 11:02 AM PST
  • user homepage:

I'm not drunk, all right? I just have a speech impediment ... and a stomach virus ... and an inner ear infection.

Posted by: ElementalRunner

• 04.13.2011 11:06 AM PST

QFT.

• 04.13.2011 11:06 AM PST

Learn to accept people interest.

I like having the mute ban. The reason for is because there are alot of annoying kids whi yell and scream and sing and it anoying. Most the day i work from 5:00am to 8:00pm at night and i dont want to here people yelling.

• 04.13.2011 11:09 AM PST
Subject: Should I contact a representative of Bungie?
  • user homepage:

So I just don't this this constitutes fairness.

Fairness has a pretty simple test.

Flip the participants.

If you have ever muted or placed a voice complaint against another player online, then you consider it fair that you use the tools provided by game developers and/or XBL.

If you have, then you just don't like that it is YOU who are on the receiving end.

• 04.13.2011 11:11 AM PST

dat feeling when you plow a multi-ton covenant war machine.

Recon should mute-ban this kid.

• 04.13.2011 11:14 AM PST

I don't always ban people but when I do I laugh uncontrollably...that's if I was a Forum Ninja.

Truth is a matter of perception.

The Button

Like Recon said, it is their right to mute you. If they don't want to hear you talk that's their problem and possible their loss. With the mute ban you can unmute a player who has it, most people just don't choose to.

Life isn't ever going to be fair, get used to it. Sorry to be blunt but it's the truth.

[Edited on 04.13.2011 11:16 AM PDT]

• 04.13.2011 11:14 AM PST
  • user homepage:

So I just don't this this constitutes fairness.

Fairness has a pretty simple test.

Flip the participants.

If you have ever muted or placed a voice complaint against another player online, then you consider it fair that you use the tools provided by game developers and/or XBL.

If you have, then you just don't like that it is YOU who are on the receiving end.

Okay, how are you not putting to much control in the hands of online players? I mute little kids very easily who are yelling before the game. So, i'm on the receiving end of what? what am I receiving beside plain unfairness at the hands of kids I meet online? Who's to say a person is being fair at all? A person could mute you for a million reasons and I have to be muted for weeks and months I hear! I feel like it's unfairly singling out people online. It is not that big a deal to just be able to speak online itself, I get that, what i'm concerned about is simply that it's really lame. Why do you have to change the rules so much?

What I read was, "of course I should be allowed to use these tools as I see fit, after all I trust myself. But I don't trust those OTHER people to use them responsibly, especially since they might use them against me."

It's not "unfairly singling people out", if you are voice banned by XBL, it is because enough people took the time to file a complaint and XBL responded. If enough people have blanket mutes (they don't hear anyone but friends) that is how they choose to spend their time on XBL (it's no different than if they unplugged their headsets). Are you saying that you should have the authority to come into someone else's living room even if they have said that unless they know you, they don't want you there?

• 04.13.2011 11:24 AM PST

First in social ranked firefight campaign competitive and ODST goose splatters.
My other account is UrbanTwisticle
20,000+ total matchmade goose splatters

Check out my YouTube Channel

People that get mute ban are doing one of the following things

1) They are very young

2) They are playing loud music that bleeds through on the Mic

3) They are constantly yelling at teammates angrily in every game

4) They are using a Kenect as a Mic.

5) They are making some sort of obnoxious noise in the background (such as darth vadering)

Everyone else paid for the game as well and we are all very glad that Mute bans have been instituted. While you cannot do anything about #1 you can do something if your reason for the ban is 1-5: that is stop doing the offending thing.

You have no rights, play nice.

• 04.13.2011 11:25 AM PST
  • user homepage:

Allow me to demonstrate.

I am no longer going to read your replies in this thread. I am no longer going to reply to them. I am muting you.

Do you like that I can do that? Probably not.
Do you think that it is fair that I did so? Again, probably not.
Can you do it yourself? Absolutely.
Can you prevent me from doing it? Nope.
Is it fair? Yes, it actually is.

Your not liking it doesn't make it unfair, rather it makes you unhappy. Your happiness is not the same thing as fairness.

• 04.13.2011 11:28 AM PST

Wake me, when you need me.

That's only cuz hes an old man ;)

<3

• 04.13.2011 11:30 AM PST