Halo 3: ODST Forum
This topic has moved here: Subject: ODST not appreciated for what it is:
  • Subject: ODST not appreciated for what it is:
Subject: ODST not appreciated for what it is:
  •  | 
  • Exalted Heroic Member

I thoroughly enjoyed ODST for the side-story and expansion of our knowledge and understanding that it brought in the Halo universe, and particularly from an interesting perspective.

• 09.24.2012 10:43 PM PDT

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial. And it is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves the flag, whose coffin is draped in the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag.Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Had a great story mode. But for 60 bucks the game was very short.

• 09.24.2012 11:24 PM PDT

-Dead Orbit..

I like ODST too :D it really makes you feel alone when you play as the rookie, and vulnerable (I still don't get how an ODST can punch through a Brute's shields and armor with his fists though O.o)

343i really should make a game like halo 3 ODST but with the EPIC graphics and a Spartan ops-like mode only for ODSTs.

and also...ADD MORE CUSTOMIZABILITY FOR THE ODST I DON'T WANT TO BE LIMITED TO 7 characters!?

• 09.27.2012 4:19 PM PDT
  • gamertag: [none]
  • user homepage:

"There's no next time. It's now or never." -Celestine Chua

Agreed. True dat.

• 09.29.2012 4:25 PM PDT

Hanger one I just shredded with the SMGs until ammo was out and I just threw 'nades like a boss while BRing.

My experience playing Cairo Station on Legendary

I agree here, but it wasn't exactly Bungie's fault. Their ambition to create more than DLC bumped the pack into a higher, pricier bracket. this many years down the line, I don't regret paying for it.

Posted by: EAGLES5

[Edited on 10.03.2012 4:40 PM PDT]

• 10.03.2012 4:40 PM PDT

I love ODST.
Brilliant setting and music, good storytelling, interesting and amusing characters (I suppose this is due in part because of the fact that it's one huge Firefly reference) and it's fun. A bit unique, and... yeah.

Generally, I'm a fan of the unpopular Halo games. I love Halo Wars, Halo Reach, and ODST.

• 10.03.2012 8:46 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

The tongue is like a sharp knife... Kills without drawing blood.

Im planning to get this game, mainly cause its got firefight.

• 10.06.2012 8:44 AM PDT

Hanger one I just shredded with the SMGs until ammo was out and I just threw 'nades like a boss while BRing.

Ah, firefight was a more enjoyable experience in ODST in my opinion. The ease of dying really made teamwork a must. Hey, for $20.00, you can't go wrong!

• 10.07.2012 10:01 AM PDT

Posted by: EAGLES5

This ^ ... bungie just got greedie ... they wanted some easy cash to pay for the development of the reach engine.

Everyone knew it was an expansion pack [at best].
And when people argued that point they went the 'exclusive reach beta access' route ... talk about cheap.

• 10.27.2012 2:15 AM PDT

When Marines can't do it, and there ain't no Spartan to save the day... Only the ODST's are up for the job.

Heck, no one appreciates Rookie and Vergi's development. Seriously, I love those two. They work together to survive a failed battle. It's awesome... I actually like him better than chief.

• 10.27.2012 7:01 PM PDT

Posted by: RookieRules
Heck, no one appreciates Rookie and Vergi's development. Seriously, I love those two. They work together to survive a failed battle. It's awesome... I actually like him better than chief.

No jumper love on here ;)

And sorry, but MC is the man ... even the two rookies held the respect.

• 10.28.2012 5:43 AM PDT

When Marines can't do it, and there ain't no Spartan to save the day... Only the ODST's are up for the job.

Posted by: Oh GodLike One

No jumper love on here ;)

It really depends on what type of character you like really. Master Chief is known for explosions, saving our galaxy from the Flood and the Halo Array, but I prefer characters who don't blow things up and take a more intelligent take on the story.

Chief is 'the' man in Halo. But I like Rookie the same way I like Vergil better than Cortana. Both characters have development. It's subtle but it's there. But then again, Halo 4 is supposedly character driven, so maybe they will change my mind. I just like how Rookie has a subtle but interesting relationship with Vergil in the story. You only see it in the Gameplay usually, but it's there.

Anyways, lets not turn this thread into another Spartan's V.S. ODSTS thing. That is one thread I now stay away from. So many fanboys with way to much time on their hands.

• 10.28.2012 2:22 PM PDT

Anyways, lets not turn this thread into another Spartan's V.S. ODSTS thing. That is one thread I now stay away from. So many fanboys with way to much time on their hands.

Agree - the ODST are a good crew.

And my respect comment was in reference to the early cutscene, when you see Amber Clad (just as the drop starts) and one of the jumpers make a comment in reference to MC.

• 10.29.2012 5:01 AM PDT

You know what I would have really loved? If the ODSTs made just a few more references to the Halo Universe, or what happened when the Chief landed in Old Mombasa. That would have given the game just a little more personality, you know?

• 10.30.2012 2:01 PM PDT

There was (example above) ... but they are subtle - kinda same extent as Stan Lee's appearance in Marvel comic movies.

• 10.31.2012 5:19 AM PDT
  • user homepage:

i know this is off topic but i have a group on face book that talking about halo 4 if anyone wants to join here'
s the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/378426315570362/

• 11.02.2012 3:14 PM PDT

http://www.capturemyhaloclips.com/ - Get your Halo clips captured.
The Artists Corner - Show other members your artistic talent.
Storywrite - Where I am writing my book.

Posted by: unsc_guy24
i know this is off topic but i have a group on face book that talking about halo 4 if anyone wants to join here'

If you know that it is off-topic then don't post it. Also don't advertise your facebook group. This is not the website for that.

• 11.02.2012 6:18 PM PDT
  •  | 
  • Senior Heroic Member

Ancient Warriors

Aussie HALO Player

Michael Jordan, the Greatest Ever!

Thor's Mjolnir

I miss it, wished you didn't need to rely on mates though

• 11.02.2012 9:18 PM PDT

Posted by: TheSpiderChief

If you know that it is off-topic then don't post it. Also don't advertise your facebook group. This is not the website for that.

Cant hurt ... bungie will close the site one day, why not get a backup suport structure up and running. Not like 343 are going to want all of bungie cast offs.

• 11.03.2012 5:10 AM PDT
  • user homepage:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/378426315570362/ join my group on facebook plz talking about halo 4 and stuff

• 11.03.2012 1:54 PM PDT

https://www.facebook.com/groups/378426315570362/ join my group on facebook plz talking about halo 4 and stuff

Good move ... keep the adds rolling.

• 11.03.2012 7:35 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

It was a good game, but it just wasn't worth $60. It was an expansion pack and it should have been advertised and priced like one.

• 12.29.2012 2:37 PM PDT

Posted by: Insolence
It was a good game, but it just wasn't worth $60. It was an expansion pack and it should have been advertised and priced like one.

^ true.

bungie even started off calling it an expansion pack.
Hell, even the name tells you that it was an expansion on Halo 3.

bungie just got greedy [again] ... even tried the "oh, we put more into it than was originally planned" and then got called out in an interview when the magazine compare it to the original announcement ... and it was actually missing features.
Doh ... major Doh.

They then tried "oh, it also includes an exclusive invitation to th reach beta" (like, big deal - not) ... and then come the reach 'beta' [cough] release they could be seen releasing more invitations ... how was it 'exclusive to ODST'?
Rip Off.

• 12.29.2012 7:03 PM PDT

*sigh*, If you were around Bungie.net during ODST's development, you'd know that they didn't decide the price as it is Microsoft's decision. They regretted that it cost as much as it did, but Halo fans, I hope, didn't mind paying the extra as the effort put into the project was phenomenal.
bungie just got greedy [again] ... even tried the "oh, we put more into it than was originally planned" and then got called out in an interview when the magazine compare it to the original announcement ... and it was actually missing features.
Doh ... major Doh.

They then tried "oh, it also includes an exclusive invitation to th reach beta" (like, big deal - not) ... and then come the reach 'beta' [cough] release they could be seen releasing more invitations ... how was it 'exclusive to ODST'?
Rip Off.

• 12.29.2012 11:39 PM PDT

Exhibit A G4 Interview where Bungie staff discusses the pricing.

• 12.30.2012 12:03 AM PDT