Off Topic: The Flood
This topic has moved here: Subject: Guide on Protecting Yourself from Bad/Short Links
  • Subject: Guide on Protecting Yourself from Bad/Short Links
Subject: Guide on Protecting Yourself from Bad/Short Links

This is all extremely good information but...

I feel like I did back in 8th grade sex ed class for some reason.

It's like Duardo's version of "safe Flooding."

...At least there isn't any bananas this time. Still scarred from Mr. Christiansen showing everyone how to do that.

• 01.11.2012 9:04 PM PST

If I don't believe in him...

why should he believe in me?

Posted by: Duardo
Apologies on McAfee. It used to be good. Removed. I've added Sophos for Mac, as I too use it and find it does the job nicely.

Im not sure how long ago this happened, but wasn't there a user who somehow was able to link a "safe" site (I am not sure which site, it was a popular one) when in actuallity it turned out to be a shocksite? (in other words, the link we clicked did not actually revert to what was shown when we hovered over it.)
I may be thinking of something entirely different (or it happened on a different forum), but I remember something similar to this happen.
Anyone else remember? Or am I just imagining things?

• 01.11.2012 9:07 PM PST

Skuldier? Never heard of him...

Posted by: MC LOL88

Apologies on McAfee. It used to be good. Removed. I've added Sophos for Mac, as I too use it and find it does the job nicely.

Im not sure how long ago this happened, but wasn't there a user who somehow was able to link a "safe" site (I am not sure which site, it was a popular one) when in actuallity it turned out to be a shocksite? (in other words, the link we clicked did not actually revert to what was shown when we hovered over it.)
I may be thinking of something entirely different (or it happened on a different forum), but I remember something similar to this happen.

Goatse?

• 01.11.2012 9:09 PM PST

tl:dr Stop being an idiot and stop clicking on every link like you have some sort of link addiction.

• 01.11.2012 9:10 PM PST

Check out The Game Lounge

Good guide, I got me one of them URL extenders

• 01.11.2012 9:11 PM PST

I also recommend NoScript for people who use Firefox, pretty much prevents all possible ways a virus can infect your computer unless you allow it to

[Edited on 01.11.2012 9:12 PM PST]

• 01.11.2012 9:11 PM PST

Posted by: SRQ baller24
[url=https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/ ]I also recommend NoScript for people who use Firefox, pretty much prevents all possible ways a virus can infect your computer unless you allow it to[/url]

Ive heard crazy rumors that NoScript adds Spyware..........is this true?

• 01.11.2012 9:12 PM PST
  • gamertag: [none]
  • user homepage:

But I'm a man who takes risks.

• 01.11.2012 9:13 PM PST

Posted by: z0mbiebot
But I'm a man who takes risks.

Don't bother hovering over this...

• 01.11.2012 9:14 PM PST

Proud member of the EFF.
Proud member of the FSF.
EFF | FSF | GNU

News: /. | Cryptome | Ars Technica

Heavy weighs the crown, low hangs the head who wears it.

Posted by: SRQ baller24
I also recommend NoScript for people who use Firefox, pretty much prevents all possible ways a virus can infect your computer unless you allow it to

Ive heard crazy rumors that NoScript adds Spyware..........is this true?
No.

• 01.11.2012 9:15 PM PST

Posted by: Not Snake

Goatse?

That name sounds familiar......

• 01.11.2012 9:15 PM PST
  • user homepage:

Goatse?

Oh god, yes!

I mean.........no.

• 01.11.2012 9:17 PM PST

You're just jealous you can't hear the voices, too.

This was useful. It oughta be stickied.

• 01.11.2012 9:19 PM PST

Goatse?

Ah! Then you are referring to probably one of the original shock sites/images, if not the original shock site/image.

I'm not going to say to google it (google it) but you probably wouldn't want to google it (go ahead and google it)

For clarification issues (Duardo don't kill me), here is a site detailing it.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/goatse

[Edited on 01.11.2012 9:22 PM PST]

• 01.11.2012 9:19 PM PST

Now look what you've done! You've made the entire Flood paranoid of clicking any links.

• 01.11.2012 9:22 PM PST
  •  | 
  • Fabled Legendary Member

My PC Build
i7 990x Extreme Edition
Asus Rampage III Formula
2 x Radeon HD 6950 2gb
Antec 1200 Case
Patriot Viper Xtreme 2000 mhz 24 gb (6 x 4)
"Last Name ever, first name Greatest"

I usually just look at the link and then decide.

• 01.11.2012 9:23 PM PST

Some more things to add:

1) By using path modifiers you can mislead people on where a link will go. For example: http://www.bungie.net/projects/aerospace/crimson/../../

2) Links can be disguised in many ways. The bottom right panel acts as a single page you would see in your browser.

3) Your DNS cache can be poisoned so that even if your browser tells you you're going to google.com which is at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, it's going to connect you to yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy. This can also happen at any proxy or other DNS cache (eg. your ISP's).

4) Even if your browser displays the "lock" icon, all that really means is that the connection is secured between your computer and the server. It does not mean that the server belongs to the organisation it claims to.

• 01.11.2012 9:27 PM PST

Awesome thread.

• 01.11.2012 9:29 PM PST

Duardo would advise hovering...
>.>

No, definitely a good thread though. It seems common sense to people that have been here a while... but that's only because we went through the phase of not knowing ourselves. The sooner folks gain this knowledge the better.

[Edited on 01.11.2012 10:41 PM PST]

• 01.11.2012 10:40 PM PST
  • user homepage:

So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

-Gandalf

Thanks Duardo.

• 01.11.2012 10:50 PM PST

le duh

• 01.11.2012 11:22 PM PST

GT/Steam: Squiggy888
I try my best to block out the screams
But they're haunting me in my dreams
Please, break my shackles, I want it to stop

Posted by: Covy Killer
Sergeant Explosion and The Quiet Day in London.

I actually have two antivirus programs I could use at the moment, and I was wondering if anyone had heard of these, and if so, which was better.

Trend Micro Titanium
Vipre

Trend Micro Titanium came with my computer, I'm still on my free use of it before I actually have to use the disc I got, but I'm debating switching back to what I had on my other computer.

Which was; Vipre, which worked just fine. I've never had a virus so I really can't say I know if either of them are working. I don't really download much, but I'd love it if I were safe anyway.

Screw it, I'm switching back to Vipre, this Titanium crap is just ridiculous to deal with.

[Edited on 01.12.2012 6:18 AM PST]

• 01.12.2012 2:40 AM PST

no. nonono

This is all pretty much common knowledge, yet so many people aren't cautious so I guess this thread is necessary. I didn't realise there are extensions for extending URLs so that was helpful.

• 01.12.2012 2:51 AM PST

Wake me, when you need me.

*Posting within the first 3 pages of a sticky*

I feel honored, I truly do.

[Edited on 01.12.2012 3:07 AM PST]

• 01.12.2012 3:06 AM PST

OMGZZ!!!!!!

"It's Afghanistanimation!"

Glad this has been posted!

• 01.12.2012 6:20 AM PST