Halo: Combat Evolved Forum
This topic has moved here: Subject: How did you come to play Halo
  • Subject: How did you come to play Halo
Subject: How did you come to play Halo

Old School Gamer and Proud Member of the Seventh Column

i actually rented Halo TWICE before I fell in love with it. The first time I just couldn't get into it. i returned the game. But in every gamer magazine I kept reading about Halo being amazing. So I rented it again and decided to give it an honest try.

Oh my. Thank god I did. It truly turned me into a gamer and has brought me umpteen hours of enjoyment.

how about you guys . . . How did you get introduced to Halo CE?

• 07.16.2012 4:02 PM PDT
  • gamertag: [none]
  • user homepage:

Sometimes, I dream about cheese.

Posted by: IRISH 249
How did you get introduced to Halo CE?
played it at a family friends house, 2nd best gaming experience in my life! dat sniper rifle made my mouth drool

[Edited on 07.16.2012 6:15 PM PDT]

• 07.16.2012 6:14 PM PDT

Old School Gamer and Proud Member of the Seventh Column

What was your BEST gaming experience?
Posted by: path1k

How did you get introduced to Halo CE?
played it at a family friends house, 2nd best gaming experience in my life! dat sniper rifle made my mouth drool

• 07.16.2012 7:38 PM PDT

This is actually the stupidest thing ever posted on B.net:

Posted by: the omega man117
Why does everyone hate Halo 2? Maybe its because its the worst game ever next to mario.

Ah man, I vaguely remember it. We got the Xbox on Christmas and it came with two games: Azurik: Rise of Perathia and Halo: Combat Evolved. The rest is history I guess.

The controllers were bigger than my head too.

• 07.16.2012 8:56 PM PDT

"We live in a special time; the only time where we can observationally verify that we live in a very special time" - Lawrence Krauss.

I was a finalist :P

Got Halo: CE with the X-Box console. My dad had to try all the games that came with it to see if they worked. His first thoughts (from looking at the cover) was that the game looked like crap, but he immediately loved it when the gameplay started; thinking it was awesome. It was then when him and myself played co-op together for the first time shortly after.

• 07.16.2012 9:50 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Sometimes, I dream about cheese.

What was your BEST gaming experience?
Kingdom Hearts

• 07.16.2012 9:50 PM PDT

Looking for clan that isn't too serious? Then join the ODST 501st Airborne Battalion. Go to http://www.501st.forumclan.com for more info.

Posted by: Zealot Tony
Got Halo: CE with the X-Box console. My dad had to try all the games that came with it to see if they worked. His first thoughts (from looking at the cover) was that the game looked like crap, but he immediately loved it when the gameplay started; thinking it was awesome. It was then when him and myself played co-op together for the first time shortly after.

That's curiously similar to the way I first played Halo...

• 07.17.2012 1:51 AM PDT

My GF's daughter got an x-box for Christmas and a bunch of crappy games I wasn't interested in. Her mom didn't want her little princess playing violent games. I went out and bought Medal of Honor and liked it well enough(got bored after several playthroughs though) and then her uncle bought her a copy of CE for her birthday.
My fist mission was T&R co-op with a seven year old and it was dark, scary and all those passages made for a pretty cool experiance.

• 07.17.2012 12:14 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Went over to a friend's house, got offered to play a videogame, and bam!!!!! I was addicted to halo.

• 07.17.2012 4:17 PM PDT

I just brought the game at some point and ended up trying it out. cause I heard of how good it was. The first level bored me but I was hooked by the end of the second.

• 07.17.2012 5:33 PM PDT

I bought an Xbox...

...then Halo :). It looked like a good shooter at the time and it worked well too. Needless to say, the game had me hooked. Paved the way for Halo 2 which was one of my first (console) online games which also worked extremely well on the console.

Then came Halo 3, i remember the rumors that Halo 3 would be available in time for the 360 launch. So i bought a 360 on launch (which ironically never failed on me) and Halo 3 when it was released became the sole reason i owned a 360.

Sadly, Its been 10 years since then and Halo 4 isn't enough to warrant me keeping a 360. Halo CE-Reach was a blast however. Good times.

• 07.17.2012 5:43 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Posted by: Wilis_kid
Sadly, Its been 10 years since then and Halo 4 isn't enough to warrant me keeping a 360. Halo CE-Reach was a blast however. Good times.
H4 has won me over. To be specific, this.

Enemy damage isn't insane and neither is enemy health. And from what I've seen and heard so far, H4 will be focusing on the AI instead of just making them tougher like H3 and Reach did.

• 07.17.2012 8:57 PM PDT

Games I like:,
Half-Minute Hero
MBU
Portal
Halo 3 is the best Halo ever
Maps I like: Turf, Avalanche, Pylon, Sandbox, Breakpoint and many more.

Posted by: Sliding Ghost

Posted by: Wilis_kid
H4 has won me over. To be specific, this.

Enemy damage isn't insane and neither is enemy health. And from what I've seen and heard so far, H4 will be focusing on the AI instead of just making them tougher like H3 and Reach did.

There's still that damn annoying "Return to the Battlefield" though in H4.

OT: Halo Wars came with my 360, loved incredibly so (Still may favorite Halo), had actually gotten Halo 2 prior to this for my classic xbox yet never fully liked it. One day I gave H2 a proper try after beating Halo Wars again, and loved the story, the gameplay everything. From there it was like domino's, going to Halo 3, Halo Reach, ODST, CE and CEA. I still go back to my puzzle game roots though :D

• 07.18.2012 12:36 AM PDT

~:O>~~

My cousin brought his XBOX to my house one day, and we spent the entire night playing split screen in our living room (apparently we kept my parents up... and they refused to buy me an XBOX after that night; so they bought me a PS2 instead).

My life would be totally different if they had gotten me an XBOX to start off with. Although I reflect fondly of my time with my PS2... which still has great graphics in my opinion. It always will. (:

• 07.18.2012 8:55 AM PDT

Posted by: Carthurlane
My cousin brought his XBOX to my house one day, and we spent the entire night playing split screen in our living room (apparently we kept my parents up... and they refused to buy me an XBOX after that night; so they bought me a PS2 instead).

My life would be totally different if they had gotten me an XBOX to start off with. Although I reflect fondly of my time with my PS2... which still has great graphics in my opinion. It always will. (:

Nothing to be ashamed of, PS2 had some amazing games :) ZOE, MGS, R&C to name a few. The PS2 and Xbox had far better exclusives and made them both worth buying. This gen however i can't seem to warrant owning both anymore.

• 07.18.2012 5:14 PM PDT
  •  | 
  • Honorable Heroic Member
  • user homepage:

Your 'beliefs' mean less than dick to me.

The Xbox/Halo was a 2002 christmas present. I actually wasn't even aware of multiplayer until a few months later, but once I tried it, holy -blam!-.

• 07.18.2012 7:43 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Kind of funny - had been a gamer for 20+ years. Was this close to buying the Gamecube, but my spouse was working for a Microsoft office in our area. Actually got the whole thing for free. Was against violence and fine with getting out of gaming period. But the mighty CE turned it all around. I still cringe when I "kill" a "person" in Ghost Recon but, the best game ever simply has too much on the stick to even consider dropping the controller. Here's to 4 even capturing 1/2 the magic of CE.

• 07.21.2012 8:14 PM PDT

Friggin deal with it

Actually started by playing it with my son.

• 07.31.2012 5:05 PM PDT

I played CE at a friends house a few times. Then they got halo 2 and I played that a few times. Years later I bought a 360 and finally got halo 3. Then I was hooked.

• 07.31.2012 5:15 PM PDT

i had a regular xbox but i had like fear and those games and then i played halo at a friends house and then got an xbox 360 and got halo 2 then halo and a year later i got halo 3 and by that time i was already hooked.

• 08.01.2012 12:57 AM PDT

Industrial Strength , No Brain Required.

My dad just bought me an Xbox with Midtown Madness 3 and Halo CE.

I was 11 and I loved MM2 on PC, so I played MM3 during months, and one day I just tried Halo. I didn't get into it, but then I wanted to finish this game and since I have all the Halo.

• 08.03.2012 2:43 PM PDT

Posted by: Dodge Reborn
The flood is always butthurt about something.

KotOR

I was playing Battlefront one day, and my Dad came home with Halo. Needless to say, that was one of the best days of my life.

[Edited on 08.03.2012 10:03 PM PDT]

• 08.03.2012 10:03 PM PDT

Played it at a friends house in the sixth grade. I asked for an Xbox and Halo: Combat Evolved for Christmas. I also bought a game called Metal Arms and I played that waaay more than Halo, but that's not the point...

• 08.03.2012 10:10 PM PDT

No, ExcessiveFaun6 is not my real gamertag.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cortana: The message just repeats. "Regret, Regret, Regret."
Miranda: Any idea what it means?
Sgt. Johnson: Dear Humanity... we regret being alien bastards. We regret coming to Earth. And we most definitely regret that the Corps just blew up our raggedy-ass fleet!
Marines: Hoo-rah!

My brother and I got an Xbox for Christmas and a couple games, but Halo wasn't among them. I was way too young to have been following the publicity, so I really didn't even know about the game. In February I went over to my favorite uncle's house, and he asked if we wanted a free Xbox game. He had had a long history of motion sickness from FPS games (especially games like Doom with the up and down motion), and Halo kind of jacked with him too, so we benefited! Then I fell in love with the game and never looked back.

tl;dr motion sickness

• 08.10.2012 1:53 PM PDT