Halo: Combat Evolved Forum
This topic has moved here: Subject: CE vs Reach Comparisons
  • Subject: CE vs Reach Comparisons
  • Pages:
  • of 4
Subject: CE vs Reach Comparisons

"We live in a special time; the only time where we can observationally verify that we live in a very special time" - Lawrence Krauss.

I was a finalist :P

Posted by: Sliding Ghost
@Zealot Tony Wasn't 'On the Pale Horse' playing during the part?

I think that was on Two Betrayals where you cross the skybridge with the quadrillion flood blocking you from getting to the other side.

• 08.21.2012 7:49 PM PDT
  • gamertag: [none]
  • user homepage:

Posted by: Zealot Tony

I think that was on Two Betrayals where you cross the skybridge with the quadrillion flood blocking you from getting to the other side.
Yeah I think so too.

I'm going to have a gander at the twin bridges on AotCR. There should be 2-3 stealth Elites at the end of one of them.

• 08.22.2012 5:18 AM PDT
  • user homepage:

Sometimes, I dream about cheese.

Stealth as many Grunts as possible then jump to the other bridge (get on the glass) and stealth the other Grunts. Headshot Jackals. Elites are easy pickings.
thanks for the help Sliding Ghost! saved me so much time, 2 stealth elites on the other side of the door i opened caught me by surprise

Sliding Ghost remember the part where 4 stealth elites guard the hallway, 2 of them wielding swords and there's an active camo hiding in the dark corner to your left?

• 08.22.2012 5:40 PM PDT

"We live in a special time; the only time where we can observationally verify that we live in a very special time" - Lawrence Krauss.

I was a finalist :P

Posted by: Zealot Tony

Yeah I think so too.

I'm going to have a gander at the twin bridges on AotCR. There should be 2-3 stealth Elites at the end of one of them.

There was a Zealot on the skybridge on AotCR, but it may have been the first one, not the second.

Sorry for the misinfo p1k.

• 08.23.2012 12:32 AM PDT
  • user homepage:

Posted by: path1k

Stealth as many Grunts as possible then jump to the other bridge (get on the glass) and stealth the other Grunts. Headshot Jackals. Elites are easy pickings.
thanks for the help Sliding Ghost! saved me so much time, 2 stealth elites on the other side of the door i opened caught me by surprise

Sliding Ghost remember the part where 4 stealth elites guard the hallway, 2 of them wielding swords and there's an active camo hiding in the dark corner to your left?
Yeah I remember. I think you have the stealth advantage. Stick the plasma rifle Elites, headshot the sword Elites.

• 08.23.2012 2:05 AM PDT
  • user homepage:

Yeah I remember. I think you have the stealth advantage. Stick the plasma rifle Elites, headshot the sword Elites.
not sure if you know but if you keep moving forward once picking it up, it runs out a few seconds after you enter the banshee after weapon pointed at the head of the universe checkpoint

a major tried to enter the banshee right after i entered it, he ran into it then died? lol

i'm up to the library now and can't get passed the beginning of that level! flood with shotguns make sure i don't succeed in running through the level

what's your strategy for that level?

• 08.23.2012 9:04 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

not sure if you know but if you keep moving forward once picking it up, it runs out a few seconds after you enter the banshee after weapon pointed at the head of the universe checkpoint

a major tried to enter the banshee right after i entered it, he ran into it then died? lol

i'm up to the library now and can't get passed the beginning of that level! flood with shotguns make sure i don't succeed in running through the level

what's your strategy for that level?
Yeah I know.

If you shoot him before he gets in, he'll lose interest. Otherwise, easy splatter.

Tbh, I never completed The Library on Legendary without dying. But I'd conserve the pistol ammo. Use the AR on initial Flood. Melee them when they get close. It will momentarily stun them. When you get to the shotgun Flood, use the pistol to disarm them (you can also do this against rocket launcher Flood).

• 08.23.2012 10:54 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

not sure about you guys but these sentinels seem to be more trouble then elites

• 08.25.2012 4:31 PM PDT

Vote for me for a free cookie.

Halo ce marines are useless

• 08.25.2012 6:36 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Posted by: da 70 70 hatred
Halo ce marines are useless
CE: they stumble from every shot and charge into battle
H2: damage sponges and charge into battle
H3: damage sponges and charge into battle
Reach: damage sponges and charge into battle

Yet CE marines manage to distinguish themselves in large numbers since enemies were designed to fight them and human players:

Elites - sidestep
Jackals - rolling

In large numbers, CE marines can keep the Covies at bay.

In large numbers, H2 and H3 marines will only kill faster. They will not stop Covenant movement.

In large numbers, Reach troopers are fail, as seen by LNoS, TotS, and PoA.

[Edited on 08.25.2012 6:58 PM PDT]

• 08.25.2012 6:58 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

not sure about you guys but these sentinels seem to be more trouble then elites
In Halo 2, they can be troublesome. You can't melee them without causing an EMP explosion unless you have Sputnik on or hit them while riding on them.

In CE, I find that they're only a problem if there are no distractions.

And in H3, they are easy as hell.

[Edited on 08.25.2012 6:59 PM PDT]

• 08.25.2012 6:59 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

ghost, which weapons do you prefer to engage an elite with at long range out of these: shotgun, pistol, needler, PP and PR

you're both in a narrow hallway and it's easy for him/you to take cover from each others attacks unless he puts enough PR bolt to stun you

• 08.25.2012 7:34 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

ghost, which weapons do you prefer to engage an elite with at long range out of these: shotgun, pistol, needler, PP and PR

you're both in a narrow hallway and it's easy for him/you to take cover from each others attacks unless he puts enough PR bolt to stun you
Pistol, PP, and PR are suitable for long range.

Personally I'd go in for an assassination, using the PP overcharge to stun the Elite but I think it'd turn out best if you just used the pistol and shotgun. Weaken shield with pistol, which will make the Elite seek cover, close distance firing shotgun.

[Edited on 08.25.2012 11:25 PM PDT]

• 08.25.2012 11:25 PM PDT

Waste of pistol ammo; use cover and grenades.

• 08.26.2012 3:45 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Posted by: chickenlittle
Waste of pistol ammo; use cover and grenades.
It's not like I'm trying to encourage him to use the other weapons. ;)

• 08.27.2012 2:50 AM PDT

but you shouldn't need weapons

• 08.27.2012 5:04 AM PDT
  • user homepage:

Posted by: chickenlittle
but you shouldn't need weapons
But grenades beat everything!

jk

• 08.27.2012 7:20 PM PDT

Games I like:,
Half-Minute Hero
MBU
Portal
Halo 3 is the best Halo ever
Maps I like: Turf, Avalanche, Pylon, Sandbox, Breakpoint and many more.

Posted by: InvasionImminent
BOBs don't have any relation to story
True but they shouldn't have been placed so blatantly in the path. Their placement is as atrocious as Moa and civilians.

Easter eggs should be subtle.
Or exclusive to Legendary, like in H2 and like the Tribute Room and the Spec Ops Elite carrying the data pad.

One good thing Reach brought, which I think should have been included on The Maw's engine room, are Auto-Turrets. The turrets on The package would be awesome in the Engine room, as well as aiding alot on Legendary.

• 09.03.2012 2:41 AM PDT
  • user homepage:

Posted by: Multijirachi

Posted by: InvasionImminent
BOBs don't have any relation to story
True but they shouldn't have been placed so blatantly in the path. Their placement is as atrocious as Moa and civilians.

Easter eggs should be subtle.
Or exclusive to Legendary, like in H2 and like the Tribute Room and the Spec Ops Elite carrying the data pad.

One good thing Reach brought, which I think should have been included on The Maw's engine room, are Auto-Turrets. The turrets on The package would be awesome in the Engine room, as well as aiding alot on Legendary.
Yeah that's true. I liked how they could easily be rearmed. The auto-turrets in Halo 3 were pretty damn OP but their usefulness was very limited.

• 09.03.2012 3:19 AM PDT

Half-Minute Hero
MBU
Portal

Especially during the...

(Spoiler Alert!)

343 Guilty Spark fight.

• 09.03.2012 3:45 AM PDT
  • user homepage:

There was one use for them prior to that fight: keeping Arby and/or Johnson down

Easy cloning and it could give you enough time to juggle a whole bunch of weapons into the control room. Of course, it was extremely dangerous if you didn't deploy it properly.

• 09.03.2012 10:43 AM PDT
  • user homepage:

jk
ha that reminds me, surely you all had an experience similar to mine when you were new to Halo: Combat Evolved

try to kill a hunter by spamming grenades at him which did minimum to no damage?

• 09.03.2012 11:23 PM PDT

Half-Minute Hero
MBU
Portal

jk
ha that reminds me, surely you all had an experience similar to mine when you were new to Halo: Combat Evolved

try to kill a hunter by spamming grenades at him which did minimum to no damage?

Kind of related, if anyone here has play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, the Rancor in the sewers. I didn't listen at all, and instead of doing the 2 second route, I just threw grenades, went back to my apartment, bought more, kept throwing. It eventually died.

• 09.04.2012 3:24 AM PDT
  • user homepage:

jk

Even then, I was thinking creative. Though I probably used grenades the first few times. I found out about the 1sk pistol on Hunters and that it was possible to bring a Hog past the tree on Silent Cartographer.

jk

Kind of related, if anyone here has play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, the Rancor in the sewers. I didn't listen at all, and instead of doing the 2 second route, I just threw grenades, went back to my apartment, bought more, kept throwing. It eventually died.
Haven't played that but I wonder, how many plasma grenade sticks would it take to kill that thing?

For Hunters:

CE: probably over 8
H2: probably over 6
H3: I think it's a minimum of 3 on Legendary
Reach: probably over 20

[Edited on 09.04.2012 4:09 AM PDT]

• 09.04.2012 4:06 AM PDT

Half-Minute Hero
MBU
Portal

jk

Even then, I was thinking creative. Though I probably used grenades the first few times. I found out about the 1sk pistol on Hunters and that it was possible to bring a Hog past the tree on Silent Cartographer.

jk

Haven't played that but I wonder, how many plasma grenade sticks would it take to kill that thing?

For Hunters:

CE: probably over 8
H2: probably over 6
H3: I think it's a minimum of 3 on Legendary
Reach: probably over 20

Its about the size of two Elephants (The vechiles) stacked vertically on top of one another, with the strength of 30 hunters. 8X30= 240 stickies :D

• 09.04.2012 2:46 PM PDT

• Pages:
  • of 4