Bungie.net Community
This topic has moved here: Subject: Why do mods not carpet ban constantly?
  • Subject: Why do mods not carpet ban constantly?
Subject: Why do mods not carpet ban constantly?

Latest carpet ban

Why mods not do this more often? It's a great way of teaching people not to respond to a obviously against the rules thread! And after getting carpet banned I, for one, learned my lesson. Is it only not done to keep people on this site? Is it because some mods just want havoc on the flud?

Note: I do not know what the the thead was about nor who replied. Although I am positive OP didn't bump it 3 pages in a row.

• 08.29.2012 3:32 PM PST

In a time long past, the armies of the dark came again to the lands of men. Their leaders became known as the fallen lords, and their terrible sorcery was without equal in the west.
In 30 years they reduced the civilized nations into carrion and ash. Until the free city of Madrigal alone defined them. An army gathered there, and a desperate battle was joined against the fallen
Heros were born in the fire and bloodshed of the wars which followed and their names and deeds will never be forgotten

Because there is no "ban all button". They have to ban every user one at a time.

• 08.29.2012 3:33 PM PST

Posted by: Enormous Corgi
Posted by: Unanimate Objec
There's no way Nate Hawbaker's favorite hero is Alan Stuart

ALAN IS A BEAUTIFUL MAN!

Posted by: spartain ken 15
Because there is no "ban all button". They have to ban every user one at a time.

This, and we don't want them running out of fuel too soon.

• 08.29.2012 3:35 PM PST
  •  | 
  • Fabled Mythic Member

R.I.P. DeathPimp. Never Ending Respect.

"Posted by: Kickimanjaro
I'm trying to become an '04, but it's not working too well."

While i have no idea of what i'm talking about because i'm not a mod, i feel like it's not too hard to individually ban everyone from a thread consisting of 14 individual posters.

As for the 300+ post threads with 50 or so posters... i can understand why carpet bans don't really apply to those.

• 08.29.2012 3:37 PM PST
  • gamertag: [none]
  • user homepage:

Posted by: evilcam
Bobcast is paid in MILF blind dates.

Latest carpet ban
I find the OP's name hilariously ironic.

[Edited on 08.29.2012 3:42 PM PDT]

• 08.29.2012 3:38 PM PST

Rain, and Jazz.
Halo: Tactical

I'm either a fool or an inteligent man, depending on how sleepy or angry I am.

I originaly made an account on 07.27.2007 but I wanted to link my GT and made this account. Don't forget your passwords!

Becasue they don't need to.

[Edited on 08.29.2012 3:39 PM PDT]

• 08.29.2012 3:38 PM PST

Posted by: dmg04
While i have no idea of what i'm talking about because i'm not a mod, i feel like it's not too hard to individually ban everyone from a thread consisting of 14 individual posters.

As for the 300+ post threads with 50 or so posters... i can understand why carpet bans don't really apply to those.

At 100 it should be possible. Sending pms for groups easily takes about or even a bit more time than banning. Just copy "replying to a troll thread" or "spam reply" onto your clipboard.

• 08.29.2012 3:41 PM PST
  • user homepage:

I think mods don't do it that often because it pisses
A lot of people off.

• 08.29.2012 4:02 PM PST
  • gamertag: ALI217
  • user homepage:

I'm gonna finish it. Just like Jigga did to the pyramid.

I love seeing multiple pages with no posts except for OPs. If they were done too often then the flood would be a lot less active.

• 08.29.2012 4:03 PM PST

Daaayum. I say do it up. It'd decrease activity on the mains and force everyone into private groups. It'd be boring as hell on the mains. Would you want that?

I sure wouldn't.

Oh and as a side note, the Mods will never call it "carpet banning". They'll say something along the lines of "We carefully consider each user's ban. We take things like ban history, frequency of each given offense, blah blah blah". But really, it's a carpet ban.

[Edited on 08.29.2012 4:13 PM PDT]

• 08.29.2012 4:11 PM PST

Posted by: Thrasher Fan
Latest carpet ban

;)

• 08.29.2012 4:13 PM PST
  • gamertag: ALI217
  • user homepage:

I'm gonna finish it. Just like Jigga did to the pyramid.

Posted by: Homeboyd903

Posted by: Thrasher Fan
Latest carpet ban

;)

You gotta admit that the people who make these alts can be funny at times.

• 08.29.2012 4:18 PM PST

I bet you a few ninjas could come in here and in explain to you why constant carpet bans are a bad thing. That being said, I will give you my two cents. Think about it: the threads that earn carpet bans are the ones that are so heinously rule-breaking that a point has to be made to the entirety of the threads repliers that "this is something we don't do here."

It is not often that threads like this come around, and when they do, this is what we see. I personally feel that it would be bad "PR" of sorts to have mods running around rampantly banning everyone (some sites that will remain nameless have this type of moderation and it is typically frowned upon).

All in all, yes, carpet bans do teach a lesson but it would not be beneficial to the mods or users of this site to be partaking in them constantly.

• 08.29.2012 4:28 PM PST

Average Joe l Youtube Channel l Twitter
Fools react, masters respond

~B.B.

Besides the blatantly obvious spam threads, I don't support blanket bans. I don't think they would make a significant impact on the amount of replies spam threads receive, I'm sure it's a hassle to do, and moderation on Bungie.net really doesn't need to be like that.

~Hawk

[Edited on 08.29.2012 4:38 PM PDT]

• 08.29.2012 4:34 PM PST

Join Halo Haven for all things related to Halo 4

Tell her that If you jingle my bells, Ill promise you a white Christmas - Call Me Venom
The world can't end next month. My yogurt expires in 2013 - Princess Cadence
If Apple invented a car, would it have windows? - Xxembers

A better question is, why do people feel the need to post their opinion in a thread that is clearly against the rules? I saw that thread when it had no replies. I read the entire thing, clicked the link, reported it, and then left.

I had no business posting to tell people that the link was bad because that would just keep it on the front page. I was incredibly disappointed when the others decided to turn it into a game and start saving the post.

It was moderately amusing, but it's clearly not appropriate for the site and we don't need junk like that to be encouraged.

• 08.29.2012 4:39 PM PST

Challenge me to a Hawaiian Punch chugging contest. I dare you.

Posted by: mubox47
$.50 in store credit.

There's some night where i wish the mods would crack down on the flood, and teach them a lesson. But it's effectively useless. This is the internet, and half of them are already alts escaping bans.

• 08.29.2012 4:45 PM PST

Twitter | Raptr | Facebook
------------------------------------------
Let me change my username! Pwease, I'd do anything! :'(
------------------------------------------
Xbox Ambassador

We should just ban the entire website.

• 08.29.2012 5:10 PM PST

@trueunderdog

Chapter

Narwhallace Smithington: Gone, but not forgotten. Never approve of anything lil guy. <3
Furious George: The new -blam!-

Posted by: Navweb3620
Daaayum. I say do it up. It'd decrease activity on the mains and force everyone into private groups. It'd be boring as hell on the mains. Would you want that?

I sure wouldn't.

Oh and as a side note, the Mods will never call it "carpet banning". They'll say something along the lines of "We carefully consider each user's ban. We take things like ban history, frequency of each given offense, blah blah blah". But really, it's a carpet ban.

You'd be surprised how many people have multiple warnings/bans in their history for replying to spam.

• 08.29.2012 5:38 PM PST

"I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith."

Go check out The Community Carnage!

Bungiepedia
Destinypedia

Posted by: True Underdog
You'd be surprised how many people have multiple warnings/bans in their history for replying to spam.

Pretty sure all my bans are for it.

• 08.29.2012 5:39 PM PST
  • user homepage:

Writer's Corner
6/15/2011 11:39 PM: bobcast [2597260] issued a 3 day ban expiring on 6/18/2011 11:39 PM.
Reason: A Bungie.net Forum Moderator has banned you for violating the code of conduct and/or rules of the forum in the thread below
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=61704535
Inappropriate. Went a little to far with the butt hole tearing.

Posted by: True Underdog
Posted by: Navweb3620

I sure wouldn't.

Ooo, how many do I have?

• 08.29.2012 5:42 PM PST
  • gamertag: ankerd
  • user homepage:

Bringing in Fikst. Bringing back lmao.
Inheritor # 475 world,

#6 In the Country.

Halocharts.com

Thread title looks funny!

• 08.29.2012 5:44 PM PST

Break down, every single one of you.

I can understand why the ninjas don't carpet ban often, but I do wish they did it more.

Seriously, if I was ever made a mod here, I would crack down so hard on the Flood (and other forums as well) that the bungie.net team would probably revoke my position in a weeks time. I have not patients for trolls or flammers.

• 08.29.2012 5:44 PM PST

Posted by: borrowedchief
We aren't here to ruin your experience (Well Qbix is).

So ninjas have to ban every user individually? Oh my

• 08.29.2012 5:47 PM PST

Brownie lives!

"10000?"

Posted by: YoUrE oWnEr
I think mods don't do it that often because it pisses
A lot of people off.

Yeah. And it can be unfair, too.

• 08.29.2012 5:58 PM PST

In my opinion, the concept of carpet banning indicates a more harsh and unjust type of authority.

The banning of certain individuals should certainly be a tolerable consideration in anyone's mind, but when a whole group of users receive their untimely ban for some reason or another, I believe that group of people may have or may not have all deserved said punishment, even if they all contributed to whatever the thread was about.

Obviously certain examples would have to be presented to better understand my point, but I'm trying to speak generally for the OP's sake.

• 08.29.2012 5:59 PM PST