Halo 3: ODST Forum
This topic has moved here: Subject: Why was this game about to be called Halo 3: Recon?
  • Subject: Why was this game about to be called Halo 3: Recon?
  • Pages:
  • of 2
Subject: Why was this game about to be called Halo 3: Recon?
  • gamertag: [none]
  • user homepage:

So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

-Gandalf

Just wondering. I'm glad it was changed to ODST, but I can't help but wonder... Why Recon? Did it have something to do with the story? Or was it an Easter egg that Recon is going to be released with this game? I can't seem to tell.

• 10.06.2012 11:12 AM PST

Bungie changed the name because they didn't want to copy Ghost Recon's name.

• 10.06.2012 12:55 PM PST

http://www.capturemyhaloclips.com/ - Get your Halo clips captured.
The Artists Corner - Show other members your artistic talent.
Storywrite - Where I am writing my book.

They changed the name because Bungie thought it would give the whole "Recon Armour" thing away.

• 10.06.2012 1:39 PM PST
  • user homepage:

So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

-Gandalf

Interesting. Question is, which one is correct? I don't see how it would copy Ghost Recon's name so it's probably the 2nd user's answer.

[Edited on 10.06.2012 7:37 PM PDT]

• 10.06.2012 7:36 PM PST

Hanger one I just shredded with the SMGs until ammo was out and I just threw 'nades like a boss while BRing.

My experience playing Cairo Station on Legendary

Maybe Recon was place holder, or perhaps the campaign had a stealthier aspect that was scrapped.

• 10.07.2012 10:03 AM PST
  • user homepage:

Posted by: Sector Z 157
Maybe Recon was place holder, or perhaps the campaign had a stealthier aspect that was scrapped.
Probably.

Stealth against post Halo 2 AI would have made it way too easy.

• 10.07.2012 3:07 PM PST

Cammalamm is the best.

External Links-
>My Photobucket page
>My Twitter account

Probably a story board change or something.

• 10.07.2012 10:30 PM PST
  • gamertag: DHTH
  • user homepage:

I think it was just that ODST fit the story better.

• 10.08.2012 5:02 AM PST
  • user homepage:

I'm pretty sure that it had to do with Recon Armor being obtainable through the game. Maybe someone thought it would be a good idea to have Recon Armor become obtainable through ODST as a marketing scheme, so Bungie changed the title so that it wouldn't seem like that was what the game was all about.

[Edited on 10.10.2012 8:11 AM PDT]

• 10.10.2012 8:09 AM PST

~:O>~~

I think naming it Recon would have been a great direction... have all future Halo titles be based off of Halo 3 but under a different moniker.

Halo 3: Recon

Halo 3: Grenadier

Halo 3: Hazop

etc.

• 10.10.2012 10:20 AM PST
  •  | 
  • Exalted Heroic Member

I'm going to look for the link, but I can almost swear I remember a Bungie post about it back in the day...

It was originally shown as Halo 3: Recon because it is a reconnaissance mission more or less, or providing a reconnaissance type point of view, as ODSTs, of course. They changed this because they did not want the title Recon to be misleading to the elusive Recon Armor variant, because that was not the intent in having the title Halo 3: Recon.

I'll keep digging for that post and update here if I ever find it, but I'm pretty sure it was something along those lines...

Cheers

• 10.10.2012 8:43 PM PST

Black Ops 2 I run two accounts warmup only at 1.97kdr...real is at 3.77. i'm in master division 4 league play. pm 4 clan inv...must have 2.5 kdr or better

Posted by: Carthurlane
I think naming it Recon would have been a great direction... have all future Halo titles be based off of Halo 3 but under a different moniker.

Halo 3: Recon

Halo 3: Grenadier

Halo 3: Hazop

etc.

lol someone here likes Halo 3 as much as me.

• 10.10.2012 10:59 PM PST
  •  | 
  • Honorable Heroic Member

http://www.bungie.net/fanclub/halohaven/Group/GroupHome.aspx

Join Halo Haven! (Group Leader: A 3 Legged Goat)

(To discuss Halo 4.)

Posted by: Sliding Ghost

Probably.

AI with the armory skull on are crazy smart.

• 10.10.2012 11:22 PM PST
  • user homepage:

-Gandalf

If that was the case Chris, they were too late.
Posted by: Frapican
I'm pretty sure that it had to do with Recon Armor being obtainable through the game. Maybe someone thought it would be a good idea to have Recon Armor become obtainable through ODST as a marketing scheme, so Bungie changed the title so that it wouldn't seem like that was what the game was all about.

• 10.10.2012 11:23 PM PST
  • user homepage:

-Gandalf

Interesting.
Posted by: AH4L
I'm going to look for the link, but I can almost swear I remember a Bungie post about it back in the day...

It was originally shown as Halo 3: Recon because it is a reconnaissance mission more or less, or providing a reconnaissance type point of view, as ODSTs, of course. They changed this because they did not want the title Recon to be misleading to the elusive Recon Armor variant, because that was not the intent in having the title Halo 3: Recon.

I'll keep digging for that post and update here if I ever find it, but I'm pretty sure it was something along those lines...

Cheers

• 10.10.2012 11:25 PM PST
  • user homepage:

Posted by: Quantam

Posted by: Sliding Ghost

Probably.

AI with the armory skull on are crazy smart.
When they've spotted you.

• 10.11.2012 12:19 AM PST
  • user homepage:

-Gandalf

Ah.

• 11.02.2012 9:39 AM PST
  • user homepage:

Talk to the Soul | ~B.B. | Know Your Duardo |  | Hero | ISFJ | 77135 | 94371

"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me."

I think it was a play on words.

Recon for the armor, but also for "Reconnaissance."

• 11.04.2012 8:21 PM PST
  • user homepage:

Nice to see Duardo is still up in this piece. I think the actual original title was, "Halo3:$60 for a half baked campaign to cash in on the fanbase's whining about the H-2 demo never being fully realized" It was just too unwieldy, so they changed it.

(I keed - I frickin love the game)

• 11.06.2012 8:33 PM PST

Hanger one I just shredded with the SMGs until ammo was out and I just threw 'nades like a boss while BRing.

My experience playing Cairo Station on Legendary

The developer generally doesn't decide on pricing, the publisher does. If you were around when ODST was in development and post-release, you'd know that they didn't want ODST to be a $60.00 title.
Posted by: nesteggfailure
Nice to see Duardo is still up in this piece. I think the actual original title was, "Halo3:$60 for a half baked campaign to cash in on the fanbase's whining about the H-2 demo never being fully realized" It was just too unwieldy, so they changed it.

• 11.07.2012 2:10 PM PST

Armor Lock vs. Top Speed, Approaching Ghost = Super Awesome!

It was going to be named Recon because Buck's team was in fact a Recognition Team that had to get aboard the Covenant Cruiser, but instead got their Recon mission down earth.

• 11.07.2012 6:43 PM PST
  • user homepage:

The developer generally doesn't decide on pricing, the publisher does. If you were around when ODST was in development and post-release, you'd know that they didn't want ODST to be a $60.00 title.
Posted by: nesteggfailure

I don't understand what "around" means. Was I alive and gaming when ODST was released...yes. And whatever anyone "wanted," I paid my $60 for the game. That was the final price. What part of that am I not getting ?

• 11.08.2012 9:18 PM PST

Because you cud haz it. Recon I mean.

• 11.25.2012 1:29 PM PST

Why not Halo 2: ODST?

• 11.26.2012 9:30 AM PST
  • user homepage:

-Gandalf

Funny thing is I had a dream about that. XD
Posted by: sniper09208
Why not Halo 2: ODST?

• 11.26.2012 8:04 PM PST

• Pages:
  • of 2