Off Topic: The Flood
This topic has moved here: Subject: To Any Cyclists Among Us
  • Subject: To Any Cyclists Among Us
  • Pages:
  • of 3
Subject: To Any Cyclists Among Us

~Thread-killer~

If you have this lock protecting it, immediately go throw it in the garbage and get a real lock.

Someone decided Saturday morning that they needed my mountain bike more than I do, and simply walked up on my porch , cut the lock, and rode away, all while I was home. I woke up later to find the garbage lock just laying on the concrete, with the bike nowhere to be found. I'm still pissed about it.

So, to add some discussion value, have you ever been the victim of robbery of any kind?

[Edited on 10.30.2012 8:32 PM PDT]

• 10.30.2012 8:31 PM PDT

Disregard Females, acquire currency.

When I was 8 I got my scooter stolen and found it in the dumpster.

• 10.30.2012 8:33 PM PDT

**Devil's advocate of the Flood. My posts may or may not represent my personal opinion, I just enjoy disagreeing with people. None of my posts are representative of the official view of the Navy or any government agency.

Non Sibi Sed Patriae
Homework questions? Forget the Flood, join The Academy.
I've got a fan!

Yep, I had my first bike stolen within a week of my first semester in college starting. Anything other than U-locks is worthless.

• 10.30.2012 8:33 PM PDT
  • gamertag: [none]
  • user homepage:

I aim to please.

Yeah, well when I was a kid I never got a bike because I lived in Philadelphia. And you know what happens to bikes in Philadelphia.

• 10.30.2012 8:34 PM PDT

To the cyclists among the flood:

Don't bike on the road in an f-ing city. I don't want to drive behind you for several blocks because the side-walk and bike trails aren't good enough for you. -_-

/rant over

Posted by: Falcon Saber
I like how your sub box is full of science and political videos but your recommendations are full of anime girls kissing each other.

Just Zoid being Zoid ^_^

I thought you said cynicist :(

[Edited on 10.30.2012 8:35 PM PDT]

Posted by: AngryBrute1
Oh yeah, since somebody does not believe what YOU believe; that makes us vapid...
I cannot grasp that what you call "Something happened to nothing, and that nothing became something, and it was smaller than than a period."

No I haven't, and plan on keeping it that way.

Just remember that no matter how terrible you feel, or how much you want to let go, there are people who care about you and love you.

That lock has a 1 1/2 star rating.

Lol, that's why you read reviews.

• 10.30.2012 8:35 PM PDT

**Devil's advocate of the Flood. My posts may or may not represent my personal opinion, I just enjoy disagreeing with people. None of my posts are representative of the official view of the Navy or any government agency.

Non Sibi Sed Patriae
I've got a fan!

Posted by: YahwehFreak4evr

Don't bike on the road in an f-ing city. I don't want to drive behind you for several blocks because the side-walk and bike trails aren't good enough for you. -_-

/rant over

It's usually against traffic laws to bike on the sidewalk, and I'm not sure where there would be bike trails in a city. Just go around the bike if there isn't a bike lane.

• 10.30.2012 8:36 PM PDT

Posted by: YahwehFreak4evr

/rant over

Get a bike yourself and avoid the traffic, otherwise enjoy wasting money on petrol stuck in traffic

Posted by: Rayzor1995
That lock has a 1 1/2 star rating.

Lol, that's why you read reviews.

I don't think he was talking about that specific lock, but coil locks in general.

I use a chain and a padlock.

• 10.30.2012 8:37 PM PDT

@trueunderdog

Chapter

Narwhallace Smithington: Gone, but not forgotten. Never approve of anything lil guy. <3
Furious George: The new -blam!-

Posted by: theHurtfulTurkey
Yep, I had my first bike stolen within a week of my first semester in college starting. Anything other than U-locks is worthless.

Hopefully you had a cheap bike. Locking up an expensive bike outside on a college campus is foolish but hey, if you have your bike stolen, you can always pick one from the bike tree.

• 10.30.2012 8:38 PM PDT

Non Sibi Sed Patriae
I've got a fan!

Posted by: True Underdog

Hopefully you had a cheap bike. Locking up an expensive bike outside on a college campus is foolish but hey, if you have your bike stolen, you can always pick one from the bike tree.

Yeah, $80 bike. The only alternative is my $1500 road bike, and the only times I've used that I've brought it into the classrooms with me.

• 10.30.2012 8:39 PM PDT

Been a while since I've been in a major metropolitan area, but my city at least only has one lane on each side. If a biker is in your lane during any hour from 8:00 to 5:00 you're going to be driving at the speed of the biker until they or you turn. Horribly frustrating.

Though I do commend you bikers for living a healthier lifestyle than I, just please try to limit traffic disruptions. =\
It's usually against traffic laws to bike on the sidewalk, and I'm not sure where there would be bike trails in a city. Just go around the bike if there isn't a bike lane.

• 10.30.2012 8:40 PM PDT

For those who wish to contact me on Xbox LIVE, my main account is "The 7th Taco", and the one linked with my profile here is only a backup.

LOL

• 10.30.2012 8:40 PM PDT
  •  | 
  • Fabled Legendary Member

They call me graland.

Yeah, $80 bike. The only alternative is my $1500 road bike, and the only times I've used that I've brought it into the classrooms with me.
Which is why I ride a craptastic junkyard bike (I tried replacing it with a $90 Wal-Mart bike, but that thing fell apart after 2 months).

My other bike is a top of the line racing mountain bike. I think the seat alone costs more than $90. I'd never even consider taking that to college with me.

• 10.30.2012 8:45 PM PDT
  •  | 
  • Exalted Legendary Member

I went outside today. The graphics were AMAZING. The gameplay WASN"T.

Maybe I should cry for help
Maybe I should kill myself
Blame it on my ADD baby

Posted by: Garland

Which is why I ride a craptastic junkyard bike (I tried replacing it with a $90 Wal-Mart bike, but that thing fell apart after 2 months).

My other bike is a top of the line racing mountain bike. I think the seat alone costs more than $90. I'd never even consider taking that to college with me.
What kind of bike? A downhill/xc or road bike?

Edit: On topic, I have had 4 bikes stolen. 2 of which were worth over $2000.

[Edited on 10.30.2012 8:49 PM PDT]

• 10.30.2012 8:48 PM PDT
  •  | 
  • Fabled Legendary Member

They call me graland.

Posted by: blankty
Posted by: Garland

What kind of bike? A downhill/xc or road bike?
Pretty similar to this.

• 10.30.2012 8:53 PM PDT

Damn, you guys are making me realize I could make better money going to college to steal bikes rather than going to college to become a physician. Curiosity question, do you guys find yourselves biking to and from nearly all locations?

• 10.30.2012 8:53 PM PDT

Posted by: IrIsHmAn04
no its legit, i used coordinates, set weapon timers the works.

Posted by: Dont pass gass
When I was 8 I got my scooter stolen and found it in the dumpster.

you sure that wasn't one of your parents trying to throw it away?

• 10.30.2012 8:54 PM PDT

"There's a very fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think that I walk that line every day."

I've never had a bike stolen from me.

Funny story though, when I was really young, some older kids asked if they could borrow my bike to do some stunts, 'cause they said I had an awesome bike. I was like, sure, and I let them take it. Not long after, my parents found out and for some reason the kids were right where they said they'd be, doing stunts with my bike. And they got it back for me.

But one time some -blam!- stole my GameBoy Advanced SP.

[Edited on 10.30.2012 8:59 PM PDT]

• 10.30.2012 8:59 PM PDT

~Thread-killer~

That is the lock I actually had. Should have looked at the reviews, but didn't.

My next bike will be kept inside, but should it need be outside, it will be locked with a U-lock while on campus, but on the porch it will have about 5 feet of thick, heavy galvanized or plastic coated chain from Lowes along with the stoutest lock money can buy.

Funny how Ive never had anything stolen while living at home, but as soon as i Moved next to the ghetto things start walking away....

• 10.30.2012 9:09 PM PDT

Non Sibi Sed Patriae
I've got a fan!

Just a tip, the wheels on a bike are very easy to remove, particularly the front wheel. A lock through the front wheel and fame of the bike and a chain through the front wheel, back wheel, and frame is the best way to lock your bike, although it's a bit paranoid.

• 10.30.2012 9:52 PM PDT

Pretty this happened to me only I didn't know anyone and had no money, so I ended up back home after a four hour walk

• 10.30.2012 10:13 PM PDT

• Pages:
  • of 3