Halo: Combat Evolved Forum
This topic has moved here: Subject: If 4 is like CE on this...
  • Subject: If 4 is like CE on this...
  • Pages:
  • of 4
Subject: If 4 is like CE on this...
  • gamertag: [none]
  • user homepage:

With a new chapter about to unfold, I have to think back. If 4 has the same "It's up to you" alone-ness of CE's Chief and Cortana, the magic might return. What do you need to get that old familiar feeling back ?

• 11.04.2012 6:10 PM PDT

the lack of an entire UNSC fleet would be a good start

oh wait lol

• 11.05.2012 7:13 PM PDT

Couldn't agree more. The beauty of CE was you as the ONLY thing between salvation and extinction.
Halo 1.5(I refuse to call it Halo 2) diverted/diluted the story from that to promote online Co-op play.
They also made Johnson an unkillabe cornerstone of the entire triology.

• 11.06.2012 8:11 AM PDT
  • user homepage:

Well, so far so good. Have put in a few hours, and is all about Chief & Corty. Am kind of annoyed with the cartoonish treatment of the Covenant, though. If you're a fan of prior Grunts, get ready for some changes. Otherwise, has been pretty satisfying.

• 11.06.2012 7:54 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Posted by: nesteggfailure
Well, so far so good. Have put in a few hours, and is all about Chief & Corty. Am kind of annoyed with the cartoonish treatment of the Covenant, though. If you're a fan of prior Grunts, get ready for some changes. Otherwise, has been pretty satisfying.
Have you encountered any negative glitches or positive ones?

Would you say that Halo 4 is polished enough? I need some reassurance damn...

[Edited on 11.06.2012 9:01 PM PST]

• 11.06.2012 9:00 PM PDT

Polishing is definitely high. There are a few "go back to the battlefield!" spots but not many. Campaign is definitely fun and generally well-made. A bit short, but they have a pseudo second campaign in the form of Spartan Ops.

My only dislike is that this game has the lowest shield/health absorption and lowest ammunition capacity in the entire series. The trend has continued into Halo 4. You only have enough bullets for a few engagements, with the possible exception of the suppressor, which is similar to the original assault rifle, but with reduced range and 2/5 the extra clips.

• 11.07.2012 6:29 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Posted by: chickenlittle
Polishing is definitely high. There are a few "go back to the battlefield!" spots but not many. Campaign is definitely fun and generally well-made.

A bit short, but they have a pseudo second campaign in the form of Spartan Ops.
I'm still skeptical. Have you explored thoroughly?

How about the AI? I've seen posts that say they're more smarter in SO than Campaign. And they also said that 343 were prioritizing well. I think it's the opposite. Sucks that I have to get Gold to download and play a SO mission. What happens if I lose interest like I did with Firefight? I've got nothing to do with Gold. :/

My only dislike is that this game has the lowest shield/health absorption and lowest ammunition capacity in the entire series. The trend has continued into Halo 4.

You only have enough bullets for a few engagements, with the possible exception of the suppressor, which is similar to the original assault rifle, but with reduced range and 2/5 the extra clips.
Agreed, at least about the shielding; it'd seem you can lose your shield damn fast.

As for health, it'd seem Halo 4 is a little bit better. Sucks that there's no health HUD display. And still no HUD display for the marine passengers either. :( I'd have thought if they wanted to immerse us better, they'd provide that for our allies (especially since SIVs have shields. If we can't see our health, then we should at least be able to monitor theirs).

As for ammo, I felt that CE and Halo 2 often gave you a lot of ammo (particularly for guns like the Needler and Carbine) while Halo 3 and Reach had a more believable amount. But Halo 4 seems to encourage you to explore for the ammo (or just drop it for something else) as well as implementing a Recession effect in the plasma pistol (I can see why they did it though).

Yeah I don't like how it seems the best approach against Knights is to go up close. While I did want to play this approach, I didn't want it to be the only reliable way.

Also, have you tried this? Does it really work? I have to wait until today morning for Halo 4 to arrive.

[Edited on 11.08.2012 1:26 AM PST]

• 11.08.2012 1:22 AM PDT

SG, you do realize that soldiers today carry several hundred rounds on their person, right? Dozens of clips? Do you really expect a giant supersoldier in the future to carry just 3-4 clips per weapon?

And I didn't know you had to get Gold for SO. I figured it Gold was only for multiplayer. I'm up for it if you do get Gold.

• 11.08.2012 8:41 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Ammo hasn't been an issue for me so far. (Just tactics) The thing I can't stand is the Strawberry Shortcake appearance of the Grunts. (Everything looks like Playskool Covenant) And you can't understand them. Would've been a great plot moment for Cortana to say, "This is a Covenant dialect I'm not familiar with..." Would've cemented the new reality, and answered a lot of player questions. The Covenant as a whole is cartoonish and seems to be filler between Promethian encounters. There's no feeling of "uh oh" when you see an Elite, and no mentally keeping track of Grunt whereabouts. Other than that, is a really well made game that reminds me of a lot that's happened since H-3. Is most similar to H-3...certainly not CE. Buy.

• 11.08.2012 8:53 PM PDT

By 'ammo' I didn't mean that ammo was scarce. My problem is that you shouldn't need to pick up ammo every 30-90 seconds.

• 11.09.2012 4:46 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

SG, you do realize that soldiers today carry several hundred rounds on their person, right? Dozens of clips? Do you really expect a giant supersoldier in the future to carry just 3-4 clips per weapon?

And I didn't know you had to get Gold for SO. I figured it Gold was only for multiplayer.

I'm up for it if you do get Gold.
But what about battery weapons?

It'd seem to be the case.

I'll keep that in mind.

By 'ammo' I didn't mean that ammo was scarce. My problem is that you shouldn't need to pick up ammo every 30-90 seconds.
Agreed. The plasma pistol is ridiculous.

[Edited on 11.09.2012 7:38 PM PST]

• 11.09.2012 7:38 PM PDT

To think Grunts are being sent into combat with them. They'll last one fight and then be empty.

• 11.10.2012 8:39 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

To think Grunts are being sent into combat with them. They'll last one fight and then be empty.
Yep a canon breach.

The trilogy and Reach made more sense. Hell, in Halo 3, you can see Jackals overcharging their plasma pistols and it completely drains over time. So the plasma pistol has a lot of battery. It's only been nerfed for MP.

• 11.10.2012 10:42 PM PDT

I'm nearly done with my first go at Campagin on Heroic and it's a bit tougher than I thought. Ammo sure is scarce. I hate the 2 grenade thing. I have fantasies that revolve around getting back the old 4/4 frag and sticky model.

I don't know, but I just don't have that old 'thrill' that used to make me stay up all night in a dark room screaming at the console. Sigh.....

• 11.11.2012 8:04 AM PDT

Easter Egg Hunter. Apprentice Tricker/Glitcher (learning from Grumpy and Sliding Ghost).

Trying to get Waypoint to update Halo 3 stats in detail like here. Now no one can see that my Halo 3 Spartan no longer looks like my Reach Spartan.

Really want to be a Heroic member or have a title. :/

That would make it better. In Halo 2, you weren't alone as much and the allies you got only slowed you down. It was worse in Halo 3 because you got more allies at once and there were more times you got allies. And they still sucked. It got to the boiling point in Reach. In Reach its like your swimming in a pool of allies, 5 them invincible, and all of them useless.

Posted by: Sliding Ghost
Sucks that I have to get Gold to download and play a SO mission. What happens if I lose interest like I did with Firefight? I've got nothing to do with Gold. :/

You could help me beat Halo 3 on legendary? :|

[Edited on 11.11.2012 12:57 PM PST]

• 11.11.2012 12:56 PM PDT

Games I like:,
Half-Minute Hero
MBU
Portal
Halo 3 is the best Halo ever
Maps I like: Turf, Avalanche, Pylon, Sandbox, Breakpoint and many more.

Posted by: KamelToad
Couldn't agree more. The beauty of CE was you as the ONLY thing between salvation and extinction.
Halo 1.5(I refuse to call it Halo 2) diverted/diluted the story from that to promote online Co-op play.
They also made Johnson an unkillabe cornerstone of the entire triology.

Halo 1.5? halo 2 was a huge improvement. Get out now.

OT: I feel as though Halo 4 lacks the feel of CE until you get near the end of it where that dramatic feel hits home.

• 11.11.2012 11:27 PM PDT

What was I thinking.
Halo 2's campaign was the bomb. Half the game you played as a slimey alien-tip toeing past enemies with your active camo- and the rest of the game you had to memorize the exact spot of every jackal with a beam rifle or he would drill you in the head. Did I mention dual wielding and the sword? Pure genius!

I will give props to multiplayer LAN parties though.

• 11.12.2012 8:58 AM PDT

"To me, a nice triple kill with the sniper is infinitely more impressive than any Living Dead Killionaire"

Does flaming people on forums count as an esport?

I'm a commendation/achievement/statistics freak.

-David (Drake)

Posted by: KaneXX12
That would make it better. In Halo 2, you weren't alone as much and the allies you got only slowed you down. It was worse in Halo 3 because you got more allies at once and there were more times you got allies. And they still sucked. It got to the boiling point in Reach. In Reach its like your swimming in a pool of allies, 5 them invincible, and all of them useless.

Hahaha boiling point, so true.

• 11.12.2012 1:23 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

I'm nearly done with my first go at Campagin on Heroic and it's a bit tougher than I thought. Ammo sure is scarce. I hate the 2 grenade thing. I have fantasies that revolve around getting back the old 4/4 frag and sticky model.

I don't know, but I just don't have that old 'thrill' that used to make me stay up all night in a dark room screaming at the console. Sigh.....
It's still engaging to me but that's only because I am fanatical about strategies.

lol! The only time that's happened to me when playing CE was when I got pwned by the bridge Goldie on Two Betrayals when I was trying to get him down. xD Also, who could forget Look Out for the Little Guys? Pure evil that was.

Posted by: KaneXX12
On Gravemind Legendary, they are probably the best marines in the entire game.

On Tsavo Highway and The Storm, give the marines heavy weapons and get them in the Troop Transport Hog. Not so useless now, huh? ;) The marines are in their prime (in Halo 3) when it comes to vehicle combat. You should have seen what it's like to have around 29 marines spamming their fuel rod gun at an enemy. On Easy. It's insanely scary.

You could help me beat Halo 3 on legendary? :|
Then what'd we do?

[Edited on 11.12.2012 5:07 PM PST]

• 11.12.2012 5:01 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Thanks for the previous Brute Shot tip, Sliding. Haven't tried that one. Speaking of Gravemind, am I the only person here who spent inordinate amounts of time knocking the Covenant uh...equipment into defensive positions before triggering new enemies ? It was a science unto itself. Getting a few of those guys upstairs for the buggerers was really helpful. (I agree - actual Marine-like performance)

Yep, giving your passenger the RL turns a Warthog into a high speed tank. Game changing goodness.

• 11.19.2012 6:49 PM PDT

Posted by: Multijirachi

halo 2 was a huge improvement. Get out now.
Get the fuc­k out.

Combat was reduced in every category. Auto-aim replaced most aiming. Melee was reduced to lunging from any point in front of an enemy. Vehicles became either indestructible or useless, with no middle ground. Flood were no longer a mob of sorts but Covenant that reanimated and exploded. I can go on.

• 11.20.2012 7:29 PM PDT

Posted by: Multijirachi

halo 2 was a huge improvement. Get out now.

What was I thinking.
Halo 2's campaign was the bomb. Half the game you played as a slimey alien-tip toeing past enemies with your active camo- and the rest of the game you had to memorize the exact spot of every jackal with a beam rifle or he would drill you in the head. Did I mention dual wielding and the sword? Pure genius!

I will give props to multiplayer LAN parties though.

Ah yes, the great additions that Halo 2 gave the series...

an ungodly -blam!--ton of aim assist

5x the bullet magnetism

removed fall damage and thus allowing glitches and shortcuts on a massive scale

a story that was force-fed to you in a way that a 1st grader could understand

aliens are humanized to an extreme extent

a 3-4 hour campaign on normal

duel wielding: a new way to noob combo!

a sword that turns every map into "Don't go around that corner or there is nothing you can do to not get -blam!-!"

the BR and its perfect accuracy at any range (aim assist and bullet magnetism to the max!)

the sniper rifle's magical "hit the guy 2 meters away from where your aiming" feature

the boost on the banshee that turns it into a suicide bomber's dream (I can't count how many times I've been rammed by one)

scorpion's new accuracy and greater armor make it overpowered

horrible maps promote camping and power weapons

the ability to melee lunge about 3-5 feet and kill someone with two smacks or one with the button combo

What great additions!

As for Legendary, the sheer fact that it came down to memorization makes the game bad.

Legendary:

Halo 1- Enemies move sporadically, either charging you, temporarily retreating, flanking, or holding their ground.

Halo 2- Enemies either charge, hold their ground, or on the rare occasion flank you. It takes them a while to do any of those, leaving them in one spot/small area for a while. As you said, it is all about memorization, so defeating them is incredibly easy so long as you do it quickly. The Arbiter's active cammo, the incredibly long melee lunge, extreme aim assist and bullet magnetism, and the easily achievable glitches make legendary on Halo 2 a complete joke. The only way you could fail completely is if your controller was partially broken or you have REALLY short-term memory.

[Edited on 11.21.2012 2:55 PM PST]

• 11.21.2012 2:52 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Man, so much 2 hate.
As someone who only played on Legendary Campaign, have to disagree with many parts of the above. Yes, I don't like the multiplayerization either. Banshee was no longer itself, and being in a vehicle was becoming the disadvantage that was fully flushed out in 3 and its successors. (So realistic)

But...(and that's a big, fat, but) Memorization was/is a fact in Campaign. Am now killing on 4 in places that were at first a struggle. As for story, it actually told a story that expanded on CE. (And wasn't the "Why are we here again" of 3) And if you want a surprise that rivals "The Flood," can't think of anything better than "A Whisper in the Storm." Was the bravest thing I've ever seen in a game. Not humanizing to the Covenant, but exposing them.

I never felt overly empowered by dual wielding - was just a tool. Bea Arthur didn't seem overly accurate in campaign; it felt like I earned every kill.

In addition to the most grim, hard-blammed mission ever (Sacred Icon), we were also introduced to:

1. Vehicle boarding.
2. Using the Covenant sniper rifle, energy sword, fuel rod cannon.
3. Skulls (i.e. infinite active cammo)
4. Weapon swapping
5. Unique dialogue between you and your contemporaries
6. The Covenant culture
7. Sentinel weaponry
8. Brutes, Drones, Prophets...Brute Shot, Brute plasma rifle, Covenant Carbine...
9. The dread of a Brute berzerking charge
10. 2 new vehicles

Yeah. That game gave little to nothing to the Halo universe. What a piece of crap.

• 11.25.2012 7:51 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Damn it, now I gotta reply to two posts!

Yes, I don't like the multiplayerization either. Banshee was no longer itself, and being in a vehicle was becoming the disadvantage that was fully flushed out in 3 and its successors. (So realistic)
It's been getting worse ever since then. :/

H3: crap AR and pistol starts

HR: campaign version of loadouts: weapons no longer carry over to the next mission, you always get the typical weapon starts. It was in CE but still, it's a downgrade from H2 and H3 which allowed you to play opening encounters differently. And who could forget the infinite sword glitch in H2?

H4: Covies can Needler supercombine, Banshees are ridiculously awkward to pilot (not to mention the flips are pathetic), sniper rifle has so much kick it's really only useful on stationary enemies and lower ranking Grunts, most weapons are stuck at their niche range (so the DMR becomes the most dominant weapon)

The MP influence is getting out of hand!

But...(and that's a big, fat, but) Memorization was/is a fact in Campaign. Am now killing on 4 in places that were at first a struggle.

As for story, it actually told a story that expanded on CE. (And wasn't the "Why are we here again" of 3) And if you want a surprise that rivals "The Flood," can't think of anything better than "A Whisper in the Storm." Was the bravest thing I've ever seen in a game. Not humanizing to the Covenant, but exposing them.
Yep, but still, throwing in a bunch of 1 hit kill snipers was just wrong.

Agreed, the story was surprisingly enjoyable. Covie perspective may have been overly dramatized but it was WAY better than what we have now (gibberish that sounds like Japanese. Maybe it's just the accent).

I never felt overly empowered by dual wielding - was just a tool. Bea Arthur didn't seem overly accurate in campaign; it felt like I earned every kill.
Agreed. Dual wielding plasma pistols was more versatile in Halo 3 since you didn't get gunned down instantly. Dual wielding plasma rifles in Halo 2 was only good for taking out sword Elite shielding while dual wielding Needlers was only good for killing berserking Brutes.

In addition to the most grim, hard-blammed mission ever (Sacred Icon), we were also introduced to:

1. Vehicle boarding.
2. Using the Covenant sniper rifle, energy sword, fuel rod cannon.
3. Skulls (i.e. infinite active cammo)
4. Weapon swapping
5. Unique dialogue between you and your contemporaries
6. The Covenant culture
7. Sentinel weaponry
8. Brutes, Drones, Prophets...Brute Shot, Brute plasma rifle, Covenant Carbine...
9. The dread of a Brute berzerking charge
10. 2 new vehicles

Yeah. That game gave little to nothing to the Halo universe. What a piece of crap.
Sacred Icon, probably the scariest level in Halo history. The Mythic skull is guarded by human combat forms. It wouldn't have been scary in CE but in Halo 2 they are extremely durable and hard to see in that damn fog. The other level that scares me is The Oracle. Hellish elevator ride with climbing Floodies!

1. Best version was in Halo 2. Halo 3's MP influence (can't get out when boarded) really made setups on Easy difficult

2. The H4 fuel rod gun needs a blast radius reduction and the H4 energy sword needs to stop being drained of it's battery when I hit it on a non-living destructible object. I wouldn't go so far to say the Halo 2 sword was the best (that's Halo 3, which was powerful and had decent lunge) but it was very versatile (sword cancelling, turns enemies around with Sputnik on)

3. No question there. They weren't 100% devoted to difficulty, so gameplay became replayable.
7. But there could have been more than just a more powerful Sentinel Beam.
8. Covenant Carbine, greatest weapon ever!
9. To some extent. I think Juggernauts would have had more of an impact

[Edited on 11.25.2012 10:03 PM PST]

• 11.25.2012 9:53 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Posted by: the omega man117
an ungodly -blam!--ton of aim assist
5x the bullet magnetism

a 3-4 hour campaign on normal
Sad truth. Don't forget to mention the hitboxes.

Yeah I think the campaign was artificially extended by the sheer overwhelming force of some encounters.

removed fall damage and thus allowing glitches and shortcuts on a massive scale

a sword that turns every map into "Don't go around that corner or there is nothing you can do to not get -blam!-!"

the boost on the banshee that turns it into a suicide bomber's dream (I can't count how many times I've been rammed by one)

scorpion's new accuracy and greater armor make it overpowered
I'm actually glad the fall barrier received changes. Halo 2 introduced more ways to reset it (brute shot, corner riding, sword flying), allowing unprecedented exploration without a vehicle in the campaign.

The MP sword shouldn't have had unlimited ammo. I'm just glad the campaign Elites can't lunge with it. Halo 4 implemented it on some Elites and it's just frustrating not being able to fight back at all (what's more, they can lunge further than Chief can!).

I miss CE Banshee strafing. It was much more versatile, flexible, and balanced.

It works great in campaign.

Legendary:

Halo 1- Enemies move sporadically, either charging you, temporarily retreating, flanking, or holding their ground.

Halo 2- Enemies either charge, hold their ground, or on the rare occasion flank you. It takes them a while to do any of those, leaving them in one spot/small area for a while.
No doubt about it.

[Edited on 11.25.2012 10:09 PM PST]

• 11.25.2012 10:09 PM PDT

• Pages:
  • of 4