Halo: Combat Evolved Forum
This topic has moved here: Subject: If 4 is like CE on this...
  • Subject: If 4 is like CE on this...
  • Pages:
  • of 4
Subject: If 4 is like CE on this...

I played the first mission of Halo 4 today at a friends house.

It's okay.

Nothing really fresh, too bad Halo is losing my interest. It used to be one of my favorites.

• 11.26.2012 2:39 PM PST

A vehicle and an open world.

• 11.27.2012 9:25 PM PST
  • gamertag: [none]
  • user homepage:

Posted by: InvasionImminent
I played the first mission of Halo 4 today at a friends house.

It's okay.

Nothing really fresh, too bad Halo is losing my interest. It used to be one of my favorites.

I find it funny that I've been called a "Fanboy" on these forums. Uh...yes, when posting on a (many) years old game's site, debating the fire rate of specific weapons or the hitboxes on specific enemies...I guess I am. (Derp) (?) So, as a fanboy, have to ask, since you're losing interest in Halo, what's grabbing your interest now, and why ? (Is not leading or jerky, just an actual question.)

• 11.28.2012 7:46 PM PST

somewhere in the heavens...they are waiting. I love the Marathon Trilogy.
Halo CE will always be the best game in the Halo franchise. What a perfect game.
(Proud LONGTIME owner of the PC and Xbox versions of Halo CE)

I've been playing Halo 4 since release, and while I like it it certainly didn't have the exploration and mystery of CE that I was hoping for.

• 11.29.2012 10:14 AM PST
  • user homepage:

Agreed.
While I'm a huge fan of "Return to the battlefield," my exploits in trying to find terminals were pointless. No eggs either. Sadly, it's no 3 so far. But, a better campaign than Reach. At least. :

• 11.29.2012 8:32 PM PST

somewhere in the heavens...they are waiting. I love the Marathon Trilogy.
Halo CE will always be the best game in the Halo franchise. What a perfect game.
(Proud LONGTIME owner of the PC and Xbox versions of Halo CE)

Posted by: nesteggfailure
Agreed.
While I'm a huge fan of "Return to the battlefield," my exploits in trying to find terminals were pointless. No eggs either. Sadly, it's no 3 so far. But, a better campaign than Reach. At least. :

Definitely better than Reach, more color, story, and beauty to the environment helps.

• 11.29.2012 10:45 PM PST

Halo 4 is okay so far, i'm not jumping for joy over it like i was for Halo 3 (though I was still let down by that in one way or another) but there are a few plot points that didn't make sense to me:

1) Not being able to understand the Covenant. The Mark VI had a translator so we could understand them from Halo 2 onwards so why has it all of a sudden been changed in Halo 4? Did Cortana break something with the firmware upgrade? Or did the Storm Covenant simply learn a new language?

2) Having to insert Cortana physically into Forerunner objects. Last time I checked with Halo 2, the Mark VI allowed Cortana to interface via touch (think Cairo bomb cutscene etc). Don't get me wrong, sometimes it looked cooler to insert Cortana's data chip into the Forerunner devices but I still thought back to Cairo everytime it happened.

3) The Mark VI looked identical to the MJOLNIR Gen II armour that the SPARTAN IV's use. Yes i know it's an aesthetics upgrade but they could have explained that when the Chief encountered the UNSC Infinity and made it the Mark VII.

As for the discussion on Halo 2, Halo 2 reduced the skill gap in terms of multiplayer and aim assist (one can argue campaign too but the closed environments in Halo 2 balance it out with CE) but it was still the hardest Campaign of the series. That said, those that are saying dual wielding made them feel powerful i don't understand why apart from M6C/PP. I never used it as i felt extremely limited and would much rather take a solo SMG or BR over dual wielding any day.

Back to topic regarding Halo 4, I think the overall story is nice. It feels like the Chief and Cortana which I think is what they were going for but without spoiling anything it gets a bit much at times. Furthermore, I think there was a little over emphasise on the UNSC Infinity so far. I get that it's the most advanced UNSC ship comparable to a Covenant ship and more or less places the UNSC on a Tier 2 level of tech but I miss from the Halo franchise the unified fights. I can't say much due to spoilers but later in the game when it mentions a UNSC fleet, there's no sign of it but rather just the Infinity which is a shame since i missed that from Halo 2/3. Finally, I'm still waiting for a new Sergeant Johnson. They could have used Gunnery Sergeant Pete Stacker but he's only heard from and not seen in game.

Overall i like the game so far, although CE will always be special to me due to nostalgia and being the original etc. I haven't tested MP due to University and generally not getting the time to play the game much so i can't comment on that but I think with a few tweaks here and there such as making the campaign a little more open (maybe on the next Xbox with Halo 4?) then it could be a near perfect :)

• 11.30.2012 5:25 PM PST
  • user homepage:

Nice points, Willis... Must agree a ton on the Covenant language. Have droned on about Strawberry Shortcake Grunts and the Fischer-Price Jackals, but, just did some Spartan Ops (If you enjoy hearing the word "Spartan," and cursing virulently at jacked mechanics, try it out...), and noticed the Elites have shortened, humanoid arms. No swimmer's body, no alien proportions...what happened to the Covenant ?! Jackals used to be unique, and Grunt comedy was a WTF release from the tenseness of the fight. 4 really took a mighty steamer upon our heritage. The only non-Flood (non-combat animation) tendency the Prom Queens have is a weird fixation with assaulting unmanned vehicles. Is almost funny, but can't hold a candle to to Grunt antics.

• 12.03.2012 5:52 PM PST
  • user homepage:

Well Halo 4, you lasted me 7 weeks.

From worst to best IMO:

Shutdown
Midnight
Dawn
Infinity
Forerunner
Reclaimer
Composer
Requiem

First two are too Forerunner-ish for my liking. Next two are too linear. Forerunner starts off great but then it becomes aggravating. The last three, well I just love their environments! The last two have scale and are pretty long!

• 12.19.2012 1:53 AM PST

The only reason I touched Halo 4 after I tried (and almost immediately abandoned) the multiplayer was Spartan Ops. I won't be touching it much until January.

I reiterate my earlier point that the game is essentially Carl on Duty with Shields. Every game the shields have been able to take less and less hits. You'd think they'd have fixed that after, what, the 7th generation of MJOLNIR, but nope.

[Edited on 12.19.2012 5:48 PM PST]

• 12.19.2012 5:47 PM PST
  • user homepage:

Posted by: chickenlittle
The only reason I touched Halo 4 after I tried (and almost immediately abandoned) the multiplayer was Spartan Ops. I won't be touching it much until January.

I reiterate my earlier point that the game is essentially Carl on Duty with Shields. Every game the shields have been able to take less and less hits. You'd think they'd have fixed that after, what, the 7th generation of MJOLNIR, but nope.
What's worse is that the enemies still stand there letting you hit them. This is especially apparent with the Knights.

E3 2012: Promethean Knights are going to be a whole new threat level, easily overpowering Chief

Oct 19, 2012: Promethean Knights are just a bunch of mooks that Chief can slaughter effortlessly

Nov 6, 2012: Majority of Promethean Knights were formerly humans. Knights are slow lumbering incompetents, easily defeated compared to the Elites, who apply more pressure to their firing

Yep, CoD in Halo skin. The marines especially are god awful. Tell me, how bad are the AI in CoD compared to Halo? I've read that most modern games have bad AI. Is that true?

[Edited on 12.19.2012 9:35 PM PST]

• 12.19.2012 9:31 PM PST

You can't really tell in modern warfare games as all they do is shoot from behind cover and only move forward when you do. They're virtually identical to enemy AI, except less numerous/effective.

I'm still trying to figure out how Marines in Halo 4 "lock down" an entire base when there are only 3 of them.

• 12.20.2012 2:33 PM PST
  • user homepage:

You can't really tell in modern warfare games as all they do is shoot from behind cover and only move forward when you do. They're virtually identical to enemy AI, except less numerous/effective.
Well at least they're not rushing senselessly.

I'm still trying to figure out how Marines in Halo 4 "lock down" an entire base when there are only 3 of them.
lol Spartan Ops is a joke. Just like how Chief had to activate things manually in the Campaign, we have to make up for UNSC incompetence. They just can't hold onto -blam!- anymore.

• 12.20.2012 6:57 PM PST

I know. Hell, when we had to retake Galileo base, "boots on the ground" meant 3 Marines. For an entire base.

• 12.21.2012 6:46 AM PST
  • user homepage:

And the worst part is, the Banshees kill them off right at the start. I was inadequately armed to do anything against them. How the hell was I supposed to know I had to spawn with a plasma pistol + plasma grenades? Stupid loadouts!

This also happens on Everything Has Gone Wrong, once you walk over to those 2 marines, they're screwed.

For once, I'd love to have an army of marines...

[Edited on 12.21.2012 7:01 PM PST]

• 12.21.2012 7:00 PM PST
  • user homepage:

Posted by: Sliding Ghost

lol Spartan Ops is a joke. Just like how Chief had to activate things manually in the Campaign, we have to make up for UNSC incompetence. They just can't hold onto -blam!- anymore.

I've finally figured it out. "Spartan Spartan...toys...Crimson...Spartan...toys...Spartan..." The moment anything, and I mean, anything happens, run like hell to the furthest portion of the map, or you will die. Rinse and repeat. That's Spartan Ops. I give up on the achievements and will continue to do my Legendary only runs in a vain and fruitless effort to reduce my KDR, What fun.

• 12.21.2012 7:09 PM PST
  • user homepage:

Posted by: nesteggfailure

I've finally figured it out. "Spartan Spartan...toys...Crimson...Spartan...toys...Spartan..." The moment anything, and I mean, anything happens, run like hell to the furthest portion of the map, or you will die. Rinse and repeat. That's Spartan Ops.

I give up on the achievements and will continue to do my Legendary only runs in a vain and fruitless effort to reduce my KDR, What fun.
Yep. 343 said the game would appeal to our play styles. I guess they forgot to include "on Co-op".

Such as? Eh I stopped playing Spartan Ops. Only reason I'll even connect to Xbox Live is to submit the new terminal codes.

• 12.21.2012 8:09 PM PST
  • user homepage:

Wow, Bungie takes the time to address the community in an article on the front page while 343 haven't even released the bulletin...

I was blind but now I see. Halo: Reach wasn't nearly as bad as Halo 4.

[Edited on 12.21.2012 9:18 PM PST]

• 12.21.2012 9:17 PM PST
  •  | 
  • Exalted Legendary Member
  • user homepage:

Oh Yes!

One thing I hate about Halo 4 is how -blam!- the environment is. Particularly, the skybox and rocks outside of maps, if you throw grenades at things (rocks) located outside the map, even if they're a few meters away, the grenades just go through them. They should have never hired people from Infinity Ward.

• 12.21.2012 11:09 PM PST
  • user homepage:

Posted by: Isai16
One thing I hate about Halo 4 is how -blam!- the environment is. Particularly, the skybox and rocks outside of maps, if you throw grenades at things (rocks) located outside the map, even if they're a few meters away, the grenades just go through them. They should have never hired people from Infinity Ward.
True dat.

• 12.21.2012 11:45 PM PST

And the worst part is, the Banshees kill them off right at the start. I was inadequately armed to do anything against them. How the hell was I supposed to know I had to spawn with a plasma pistol + plasma grenades? Stupid loadouts!
Wouldn't even matter, it takes multiple grenades to kill one.

This also happens on Everything Has Gone Wrong, once you walk over to those 2 marines, they're screwed.

That one was just stupid. The only time I could see the Marines being competent at all was when you rescue them on the arctic planet. They lasted a long time on Legendary.

• 12.23.2012 7:57 AM PST
  • user homepage:

It's pretty funny how Galileo Base has as much bs as it's MP variant (Complex).

I just tried The Didact's Gift. Breezed through it (to some extent) using noob combo, Active Camo, and Ammo. Covies in this game are a joke. The Elites don't try to dive from the overcharge nor do they seek cover. Only the Hunters are dangerous... because of their 1 hit kill melees. Then the Prometheans came in and boy was it hell annoying. The last few Knights always know where you are so there's no sneaking up on them. Also, Lancer + Incineration Cannon = horrific

Of course, without Active Camo, I'd have died over 40 times... and without Ammo, I'd have run out of ammo. These loadout components are basically forced on me (I'm not sure about other players but they've probably realized the best combination too).

That one was just stupid. The only time I could see the Marines being competent at all was when you rescue them on the arctic planet. They lasted a long time on Legendary.
And don't forget about those marines at the beginning of the level. Absolutely disgusting.

They were only useful on Hacksaw because they were temporarily invincible. :/

[Edited on 12.23.2012 8:47 AM PST]

• 12.23.2012 8:44 AM PST

It's pretty funny how Galileo Base has as much bs as it's MP variant (Complex).

I just tried The Didact's Gift. Breezed through it (to some extent) using noob combo, Active Camo, and Ammo. Covies in this game are a joke. The Elites don't try to dive from the overcharge nor do they seek cover. Only the Hunters are dangerous... because of their 1 hit kill melees. Then the Prometheans came in and boy was it hell annoying. The last few Knights always know where you are so there's no sneaking up on them. Also, Lancer + Incineration Cannon = horrific

Of course, without Active Camo, I'd have died over 40 times... and without Ammo, I'd have run out of ammo. These loadout components are basically forced on me (I'm not sure about other players but they've probably realized the best combination too).
That's the problem with games these days. On higher difficulties, you're forced to go with a certain set of weapons and abilities. If you don't, you're screwed.

And don't forget about those marines at the beginning of the level. Absolutely disgusting.
Tell me about it. I miss when a few Marines could actually hold their own against enemies.

They were only useful on Hacksaw because they were temporarily invincible. :/Hey, they killed 2 Elites and a few Grunts. They have a higher kill count than every other Marine squad in the game.

• 12.23.2012 9:59 AM PST
  • user homepage:

Yep. Noob combo, needler, and power weapons, that's pretty much what you're expected to use. The ordnance doesn't even stay there. After some time, it's gone...

Agreed.

Yeah I guess that's something. They were much better distractions though. The Elites spend more time meleeing them than shooting.

[Edited on 12.23.2012 7:38 PM PST]

• 12.23.2012 7:36 PM PST

Don't even get me started on disappearing weapons in SpOps. If I die holding a weapon, it's gone by the time I reach my body. If I drop something to pick up a power weapon, it's gone by the time that power weapon is empty. Things disappear while I look at them. It's ridiculous.

• 12.24.2012 12:18 AM PST

• Pages:
  • of 4