Off Topic: The Flood
This topic has moved here: Subject: in a bit of a pickle and need a bit of Chemistry help.
  • Subject: in a bit of a pickle and need a bit of Chemistry help.
Subject: in a bit of a pickle and need a bit of Chemistry help.

My class is going to be doing a lab final, and for this there are some basic laboratory experiments we are going to be needing to do. The second of which is:

Prepare 100 milliliters of 0.1 M copper sulfate, beginning from copper sulfate pentahydrate. Calculate exact molarity to 3 significant figures

So I determined that we'll need to end up with 1.596 grams of CuSO4, however I cannot find the chemical equation for:

(CuSO4 + H20) + NaOH -----> ?????

We will be titrating the CuSO4 with NaOH.

• 12.06.2012 4:08 AM PDT

in·dif·fer·ence
the fact or state of being indifferent; lack of care or concern and empathy demonstrated by an absence of emotional reactions.

(CuSO4 + H20) Is this meant to represent that the compound is hydrated?

• 12.06.2012 4:11 AM PDT

The Universe demands to be noticed, to be seen, and dutifully noted.

What use all those incredible firework dimensions if no eye fixes and reflects, no brain takes notes, no heart moves with passion at the display?

NASA answers the silent cry of the Cosmos for recognition.

NASA is the witness and we fellow witnesses to the endless deeps.

Are you trying to form CuSo4 from {CuSo4.5H2O)? I don't understand the (CuSO4 + H2O) part.

[Edited on 12.06.2012 4:17 AM PST]

• 12.06.2012 4:15 AM PDT

in·dif·fer·ence
the fact or state of being indifferent; lack of care or concern and empathy demonstrated by an absence of emotional reactions.

NaOH + CuSO4 -> Cu(OH)2 + Na2SO4

The water in the brackets with the H20 means it's in solution I think. So Just balance the equation out I think.

• 12.06.2012 4:16 AM PDT

Yeah, sorry about that. I couldn't find the proper symbol. I'm wondering if we are supposed to get copper hydroxide instead of copper sulfate, as I see no apparent way of getting rid of the pentahydrate aspect of the copper sulfate (which is what they'll want us to do).
Posted by: ColdHoboKiller14

• 12.06.2012 4:19 AM PDT

The Universe demands to be noticed, to be seen, and dutifully noted.

What use all those incredible firework dimensions if no eye fixes and reflects, no brain takes notes, no heart moves with passion at the display?

NASA answers the silent cry of the Cosmos for recognition.

NASA is the witness and we fellow witnesses to the endless deeps.

Nevermind, beaten to it.

[Edited on 12.06.2012 4:21 AM PST]

• 12.06.2012 4:20 AM PDT

in·dif·fer·ence

Posted by: YahwehFreak4evr
Yeah, sorry about that. I couldn't find the proper symbol. I'm wondering if we are supposed to get copper hydroxide instead of copper sulfate, as I see no apparent way of getting rid of the pentahydrate aspect of the copper sulfate (which is what they'll want us to do).
Posted by: ColdHoboKiller14

If it is a hydrated compound isn't the equation
CuSO4*5H2O + 2NaOH = Cu(OH)2 + Na2SO4 + 5H20

• 12.06.2012 4:21 AM PDT

in·dif·fer·ence

To get from CuSO4*5H20 to CuSO4 wouldn't you just dehydrate it by removing the water of crystallization via heating.

• 12.06.2012 4:27 AM PDT

I'd imagine so depending on the boiling point of CuSO4 (to ensure it doesn't boil off first). However, I don't believe we will be asked to perform that as that is not something we've done previously in class. I'm going to go ahead and operate under the assumption that they want Cu(OH)2 in which case I can determine the initial mass of CuSO4*5H2O we'll need to start off with. We will be determining the absorbance at a given wavelength of our solution.

• 12.06.2012 4:35 AM PDT