Off Topic: The Flood
This topic has moved here: Subject: PC Building Guide and FAQ of The Flood v2.0 [ Corsair 300R $50 ]
  • Subject: PC Building Guide and FAQ of The Flood v2.0 [ Corsair 300R $50 ]
Subject: PC Building Guide and FAQ of The Flood v2.0 [ Corsair 300R $50 ]

I was just wondering something. Why does everybody still have DVD drives? Installing Windows with a usb stick is incredibly easy. Personally, I haven't used a DVD/CD drive in months or even years.

Are so many of you guys actually regularly using your DVD drives?

[Edited on 01.06.2013 7:40 PM PST]

• 01.06.2013 7:39 PM PDT

MLP: FiM Master Moderator: | Homepage | My Steam Profile | My Computer |

Posted by: ABotelho
I was just wondering something. Why does everybody still have CD drives? Installing Windows with a usb stick is incredibly easy. Personally, I haven't used a DVD/CD drive in months or even years.

I use mine to rip ISO's of Windows to give to my friends since I can just let them keep the CD as opposed to keeping a USB stick, rip CD files to my computer (for FLAC music or if it's a montage related to school or something), and for playing old games like Diablo or Star Wars Tie Fighter vs. X-Wing.

I definitely use it less than once a week though.

[Edited on 01.06.2013 7:42 PM PST]

• 01.06.2013 7:41 PM PDT

I got these cheeseburgers man....

I was just wondering something. Why does everybody still have DVD drives? Installing Windows with a usb stick is incredibly easy. Personally, I haven't used a DVD/CD drive in months or even years.

Yes, I used it to install my ethernet driver so I could go and download the other drivers. I sometimes use those as backups, or to rip music off a CD.

• 01.06.2013 7:41 PM PDT

Who the hell do you think I am?

Still have a couple games on discs and CDs I like to play with my computer. I rarely use it but I like to have it, and it's not like they're expensive at all or anything.

• 01.06.2013 7:44 PM PDT

Hmm, I suppose there is still some use for them. Not for me personally, but I can see where everybody is coming from.

I just think they're bloody huge for the tiny jobs they do.

• 01.06.2013 7:47 PM PDT

They're basically the size of the disc, not sure how they'd get any smaller.

• 01.06.2013 7:48 PM PDT

They could get thinner though.

• 01.06.2013 7:55 PM PDT

AD

Here is my Build

Steam Name: hdhacker
Bungie Name: HDhacker

• 01.06.2013 8:03 PM PDT

Xbox LIVE gamertag: Dat3lessNutella
Steam username: TopWargamer
To look up my Halo stats...search for the gamertag TopWargamer.
SAVED THREAD PAGES: 283
One does not simply get rid of TopWargamer so easily.
You know this to be true.
ALL HAIL GABEN

Nvidia is having their big CES press conference RIGHT NOW! They're supposedly revealing something big.

Live stream
Updates via blogs

• 01.06.2013 8:07 PM PDT

Posted by: TopWargamer
Nvidia is having their big CES press conference RIGHT NOW! They're supposedly revealing something big.

Live stream
Updates via blogs
Hopefully it's actually cool. I don't want to stay up too long, any idea what time this'll start up?

• 01.06.2013 8:16 PM PDT

Xbox LIVE gamertag: Dat3lessNutella
Steam username: TopWargamer
To look up my Halo stats...search for the gamertag TopWargamer.
SAVED THREAD PAGES: 283
One does not simply get rid of TopWargamer so easily.
You know this to be true.
ALL HAIL GABEN

Posted by: SuicidalSplatter

Live stream
Updates via blogs
Hopefully it's actually cool. I don't want to stay up too long, any idea what time this'll start up?

Probably around 11:30 EST at the very latest.

I know there's school tomorrow but I don't give a damn....watching the whole thing tonight.

• 01.06.2013 8:17 PM PDT

Live stream
Updates via blogs

Probably around 11:30 EST at the very latest.

I know there's school tomorrow but I don't give a damn....watching the whole thing tonight.
Yeah -blam!- it, I woke up at 3:30PM today.

• 01.06.2013 8:19 PM PDT
  • gamertag: [none]
  • user homepage:

I like Cheese

Live stream
Updates via blogs
I wouldn't be surprised if they're revealing the 7xx series of GPU's or the Tegra 4.

• 01.06.2013 8:21 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

"The one who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been."
-Albert Einstein

"To live is the rarest thing in the word. Most people exist, that is all"
-Oscar Wilde

Steam

Speed Demos Archive, the home to video game speed runs, is proud to present the third annual speed running marathon: Awesome Games Done Quick 2013. It is a 7-day online event to raise money for cancer prevention, streamed live for you to watch!
Alternate stream

Featuring over 115 games, speed runners will play continuously in order to collect donations for the Prevent Cancer Foundation, our partner for this event. During the marathon, donations enter you into various prizes, and can be used to determine the outcome of bidding wars! The various prizes and bidding wars can be found in the AGDQ2013 schedule.

They'll be running some amazing games, both new and old.
Examples; Dark Souls, Shadow of the Colossus, Left 4 Dead & Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Ecco the Dolphin, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (blindfolded)

I've watched this event for the past 2-3 years, I dont think many people here know about it. It's becoming a massive event, so I thought I'd share about it here.

They're currently running Banjo-Kazooie.

Get in here!

• 01.06.2013 8:30 PM PDT

Posted by: jew man man
Left 4 Dead
I love me some death racing.

• 01.06.2013 8:33 PM PDT

Guys, I wish I was an expurt gamer like the people at Nvidia.

• 01.06.2013 8:35 PM PDT

Why couldn't they have held this thing yesterday?

Can you guys type out a tldr for me to read tomorrow?

• 01.06.2013 8:40 PM PDT

(Oldest news is at the top of this post)

He just revealed probably the biggest thing, which is The Grid, aka, Nvidia's cloud gaming. It's essentially OnLive 2, if any of you even remember what OnLive is.

The Tegra 4.
Tegra 4 v. Nexus 10.
Comparison.
Tegra 4 claims to have the best HDR technology out there.
Nvidia's phone modem. It's an 8 core modem that can do 1.2 trillion operations per second.
Project Shield. Powered by a Tegra 4, looks to be Nvidias console which will play games through The Grid and any games on the Play Store. It runs stock Android,no Nvidia skin on top.. Has an HDMI, micro-USB, micro-SD, and 3.5mm headphone jack. Triggers are the same as Xbox, and it's pretty much the size of a Xbox 360 controller. Capable of 4K playback. Has the full Steam store on it.

Shield again.

Also, during the unveiling of Shield, he has a slip of tongue and said Project Thor, so there is still something else to be revealed. While he was trying to show us how it can play PC games, it failed about 4 times before getting it to somewhat work.

I really can't see much of a use of it for me. I already have one of the best Android phones out there, and I have an amazing computer. Why would I spend that money when I could instead invest in new hardware for my PC. I can't use Tegra 4 for another two years, and by then, Tegra 5 will probably be out. And screw cloud gaming, I like building my own machine and I don't want to have to rely one their services. What if I lose internet, or their servers go down? Then I can't play me games. So, Nvidia's show for me didn't have much I'm really interested in. I'm really excited for AMD's show though, seeing as how if they reveal their 8000 series, it'll give me something to actually look forward to, and put pressure on Nvidia to reveal their 700 series.

[Edited on 01.06.2013 10:45 PM PST]

• 01.06.2013 8:46 PM PDT

(Oldest news is at the top of this post)

He just revealed probably the biggest thing, which is The Grid, aka, Nvidia's cloud gaming. It's essentially OnLive 2, if any of you even remember what OnLive is.

The Tegra 4.
Tegra 4 v. Nexus 10.
Comparison.
Tegra 4 claims to have the best HDR technology out there.
Nvidia's phone modem. It's an 8 core modem that can do 1.2 trillion operations per second.
Project Shield. Powered by a Tegra 4, looks to be Nvidias console which will play games through The Grid and any games on the Play Store. It runs stock Android,no Nvidia skin on top.. Has an HDMI, micro-USB, micro-SD, and 3.5mm headphone jack. Triggers are the same as Xbox, and it's pretty much the size of a Xbox 360 controller. Capable of 4K playback.
Shield again.

Also, during the unveiling of Shield, he has a slip of tongue and said Project Thor, so there is still something else to be revealed. While he was trying to show us how it can play PC games, it failed about 4 times before getting it to somewhat work.

Project Shield looks -blam!- cool.

[Edited on 01.06.2013 9:58 PM PST]

• 01.06.2013 9:58 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

t3hAvenger77 - XBL (BF3, ME3, Blops)
decla1mer104 - Origin (BF3)
Steam

I don't really use it. Other than to install Windows, I
only use my DVD drive to play GTA IV as I bought it retail.

Posted by: PMC Fluffy
They could get thinner though.
Still, they still need to fit a 5.2" bay if installed on a desktop.

Also, good mouse guide.

[Edited on 01.07.2013 4:36 AM PST]

• 01.06.2013 10:13 PM PDT
Subject: PC Building Guide and FAQ of The Flood v2.0

"Per audacia ad astra"
"In the feel clutch of circumstance I have winced
Nor cried aloud
under the bludgeonings of chance.
My head is bloody
but unbowed" ~ Sir William Earnest Henley

I decided to put my old gpu into my brothers pc. I connected my old radeon 6850 onto it, yet when I turn it on the screen is getting not signal its not the screen and its not the screen or the cable thats the issue though. What did I do wrong? The motherboard is a Dell T568R DH57M01 and used to have a 5670 in it..

• 01.07.2013 9:18 AM PDT

Now go make me some tea.

Posted by: Sam_Alkad
I decided to put my old gpu into my brothers pc. I connected my old radeon 6850 onto it, yet when I turn it on the screen is getting not signal its not the screen and its not the screen or the cable thats the issue though. What did I do wrong? The motherboard is a Dell T568R DH57M01 and used to have a 5670 in it..

It probably doesn't support the power draw or the PSU isn't strong enough.

• 01.07.2013 9:23 AM PDT

"Per audacia ad astra"
"In the feel clutch of circumstance I have winced
Nor cried aloud
under the bludgeonings of chance.
My head is bloody
but unbowed" ~ Sir William Earnest Henley

Well balls...
So if I just put the old card back in everything will be fine?

• 01.07.2013 9:24 AM PDT
Subject: PC Building Guide and FAQ of The Flood v2.0 [ Corsair 300R $50 ]

Posted by: ThirstyAvenge
You should get the latest BIOS that you can get off Gigabyte's website.

Also, nForce chipset. NVIDIA quit the motherboard chipset business a while back. How old is your motherboard?

I'm not sure, but I'm looking at my box for the MOBO and it says the AM3+ CPU BIOS are installed and it's AM3+ CPU ready, so I'm assuming I'm good to go

• 01.07.2013 10:44 AM PDT
Subject: PC Building Guide and FAQ of The Flood v2.0

Posted by: Sam_Alkad
Do you know what the power supply is? It's probably not enough to power the 6850, which shouldn't require much power in the first place.

• 01.07.2013 12:23 PM PDT