- Noble Member
Halo 4 has the fewest enemy types of any Halo game. Thus it's 8 missions introduce them at a reasonable pace. To make this number of levels work. I would strongly suggest re-adding a lot of the covenant enemies such as brutes, drones, skirmishers and scarabs, along with old covenant vehicles such as the shadow and the revenant.
Also at least 6 levels there include prometheans so they're going to need more variety as well as the design improvements you've suggested.
Personally I think the easiest way to improve the prometheans is to redesign their weapon set. At the moment, their weapon concept seems to be "unsc weapons but orange" which is hardly the most inspired of ideas. Instead I propose the following design ideals:
- very futuristic so do not resemble modern weapons
- very much part of the prometheans rather than something held, thus each weapon should form around chief's hand like a gauntlet.
- human weapons use bullets and clips, covenant weapons use irreplaceable batteries and overheat. The Promethean weapons should be distinguished from both of these. Perhaps with replaceable batteries that become unusable when they overheat. This would give the player the choice between finishing off the kill and overheating the gun, or waiting in order to preserve the battery.
- reintroduce the sentinel beam as a beam gauntlet, as this is very distinct from UNSC weapons and fits in with previous forerunner cannon.
- the forerunners have also been known to use lightning effects such as the pale blue lightning 343gs uses when taking the index from chief in Halo 1. So a lightning gauntlet would be a good short range weapon for the prometheans. Perhaps as you held down the trigger for longer the range could increase, this would make the lightning gauntlet difficult to escape from.
- The prometheans have a somewhat medieval naming system "knight, lancer, battlewagon" so perhaps a piece of weaponry could reflect this. Hence I propose a gauntlet mounted crossbow (the "light bow"), with lasers mounted at 40, 20, 0, -20 and -40 degrees horizontally from the reticle. Just pressing the trigger would emit reflecting beams from each of these lasers (like the scattershot's beams, but without limited range). Holding the trigger down would move the lasers, aligning them towards the centre and allowing from greater accuracy, changing the gun from being somewhat like a shotgun to somewhat like a sniper rifle.
- Finally I would propose 2 weapons that would make the watchers more interesting support units and would greatly improve multiplayer. The leech gauntlet and the transfer gauntlet. The leech gauntlet steals shield from the target and gives it to the user. The transfer gauntlet does the opposite, allowing watchers to give their own shields to keep knights alive in battle.
I believe these 5 weapons, which are completely different to any other weapons in Halo 4, would make the prometheans seem like fresh and interesting adversaries.