Off Topic: The Flood
This topic has moved here: Subject: THQ selling off game franchises...EA and Activison could buy them
  • Subject: THQ selling off game franchises...EA and Activison could buy them
  • Pages:
  • of 2
Subject: THQ selling off game franchises...EA and Activison could buy them

Xbox LIVE gamertag: Dat3lessNutella
Steam username: TopWargamer
To look up my Halo stats...search for the gamertag TopWargamer.
SAVED THREAD PAGES: 283
One does not simply get rid of TopWargamer so easily.
You know this to be true.
ALL HAIL GABEN

Source (Kotaku)

This is incredibly sad....at least to me. The thought of EA and/or Activison owning Metro, Company of Heroes, Darksiders, Saints Row, etc. frightens me....because I know they will turn it into -blam!-....EA more so than Activison.

What I find interesting is that Saints Row is up for sale. That means that Rockstar could buy it....and then Rockstar would own 2 of the best sandbox games: Grant Theft Auto and Saints Row. If they did buy Saints Row...it would be interesting to see what they would do with it.

So how do you think this will all work out? Who do you think will end up with what?

• 01.08.2013 12:54 PM PDT

A cornered fox is more dangerous than a jackal.

And from FOX, two phantoms were born.

Metro in the hands of EA?

• 01.08.2013 12:55 PM PDT

ALL HAIL GABEN

Posted by: Kai Hiwatari

This is a very real possibility....and Metro is one of my favorite game franchises.

• 01.08.2013 12:56 PM PDT

Or Rockstar could buy it and then terminate it and just make GTA games without any competition.

• 01.08.2013 12:56 PM PDT

Rockstar should buy Red Faction.

• 01.08.2013 12:57 PM PDT
  • gamertag: [none]
  • user homepage:

Do not waste your tears, I was not born to watch the world grow dim. Life is not measured in years, but by the deeds of men.

Posted by: goldhawk
We should know better, because we are better.

Posted by: Kai Hiwatari

Noooooooooooooooo!

• 01.08.2013 12:57 PM PDT

ALL HAIL GABEN

Posted by: SHOTTY SNIP3R
Or Rockstar could buy it and then terminate it and just make GTA games without any competition.

Or there is also that possibility. That would be a monopoly on those kinds of sandbox games....wouldn't it?

• 01.08.2013 12:58 PM PDT

My name is from Star Wars. Now you know.

Feel free to follow me on my twitter and stalk me.

1.) Metro gets purchased by Zenimax
2.) Bethesda takes over making Metro
3.) Becomes incorporated into Fallout Universe
4.) ???
5.) Profit

• 01.08.2013 12:59 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Foman is my favorite moderator. <3

I still think you'll see Clearlake's bid go through and get accepted by the courts, unless individual franchise bids are incredibly high.

• 01.08.2013 1:00 PM PDT

ALL HAIL GABEN

Posted by: Xizor14
4.) ???
5.) Profit

Bethesda would do a pretty good job with Metro.

Again...I really hope that EA or Activison do NOT take over Metro.

[Edited on 01.08.2013 1:02 PM PST]

• 01.08.2013 1:00 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Do not waste your tears, I was not born to watch the world grow dim. Life is not measured in years, but by the deeds of men.

My question is, since Metro is based off of Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky, would he have some leverage over who buys the franchise?

• 01.08.2013 1:01 PM PDT

Posted by: Xizor14
4.) ???
5.) Profit

might as well be...

Metro: Sideways-walking buggy clunky control game with poorly implemented third person

• 01.08.2013 1:02 PM PDT

ALL HAIL GABEN

Posted by: Xd00999
My question is, since Metro is based off of Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky, would he have some leverage over who buys the franchise?

I don't think so.

Plus Metro: Last light isn't based off of the book...Metro 2033 was. THQ had to get the rights to make the game...obviously.

So who knows...he may or may not. For him...it wouldn't make much of a difference.

• 01.08.2013 1:03 PM PDT

Why did you click the more button? By accident? Reply is at the bottom...
They call me The Precursor

EA will go for Saints Row and Metro. Activision might try for Company of Heros but I'd imagine if Space Marine went up then they'd jump on it.

• 01.08.2013 1:03 PM PDT

What did he say to THQ?

• 01.08.2013 1:04 PM PDT

Fellow Floodian:
Posted by: Oh This Dude
I had a very similar thing, only I threw a 14 story building out of a pool and hit a kid on a paper aeroplane.

The Flood is just this awesome :D

Poor THQ, they were the best producer when it comes to games. If they leave, there will be NO good producer left.

Posted by: TopWargamer

I don't think so.

Plus Metro: Last light isn't based off of the book...Metro 2033 was. THQ had to get the rights to make the game...obviously.

So who knows...he may or may not. For him...it wouldn't make much of a difference.

I thought there was another book Last Light was based off but I don't know cause I don't read

ALL HAIL GABEN

Posted by: shadowknight566
Poor THQ, they were the best producer when it comes to games. If they leave, there will be NO good producer left.

They're not leaving....another company bought THQ and now they're auctioning off most of their game franchises and studios to stay alive.

Again...THQ will live....but they will have to start all over again.

• 01.08.2013 1:06 PM PDT

wow what a defeatist thing to say

What about Valve, and

a bunch of other indie devs of...great games

• 01.08.2013 1:07 PM PDT

Posted by: AquaBlader
Soon to be breaking news:

US Coast Guard prepares for massive rescue mission after Iranian fleet sinks off shore. Reports say a small thunderstorm caused most of the ships to simply...fall apart.

I'm only concerned with who will buy Darksiders.

• 01.08.2013 1:07 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Foman is my favorite moderator. <3

They're not leaving....another company bought THQ and now they're auctioning off most of their game franchises and studios to stay alive.

Again...THQ will live....but they will have to start all over again.

Naw bro.

Clearlake made the bid for THQ, THQ agreed, but the owners of THQ's debt filed a grieveance and the bankruptcy court ruled that THQ was not acting in the best interest of its debtholders by selling the company wholesale - they had not actively pursued how much they could get by selling bits and pieces.

That wasn't THQ's or Clearlake's decision, it was the bankruptcy court judge's choice. If that choice hadn't been made, THQ wouldn't have to sell any franchise rights.

[Edited on 01.08.2013 1:09 PM PST]

• 01.08.2013 1:08 PM PDT

Recon Number 54 -
If they are still looking, then while holding the snarl, I let drool start to drip from my mouth, I stand, curl my fingers into claws and with a hunched over crouch, I then make slow and deliberate steps towards them. When I get close enough, I let them hear my agonized and gasping growls and then, if they continue to stare, when I get within arm's reach? I kiss them on the nose, and run away giggling.

I hope neither of them get their hands on Dawn of War.

• 01.08.2013 1:09 PM PDT

ALL HAIL GABEN

Posted by: Jet Lockheed

I don't think so.

I thought there was another book Last Light was based off but I don't know cause I don't read

Nope....the only Metro book is Metro 2033.

• 01.08.2013 1:10 PM PDT

Posted by: hadlermaster
I'm only concerned with who will buy Darksiders.

Nintendo should get it

LoZ + Darksiders

• 01.08.2013 1:13 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Posted by: Jet Lockheed

I don't think so.

Nope....the only Metro book is Metro 2033.

Incorrect. Dmitry did write a Metro 2034, however it does not feature Artyom or any other 2033 characters and, to my knowledge, it has not been translated to English yet.

• 01.08.2013 1:14 PM PDT

• Pages:
  • of 2