Halo 1 & 2 for PC
This topic has moved here: Subject: Halo 2 and Windows 7....
  • Subject: Halo 2 and Windows 7....
  • Pages:
  • of 2
Subject: Halo 2 and Windows 7....
  • gamertag: [none]
  • user homepage:

*All of the above is the opinion of the user: WartHogRacerman3. Complaints can be forwarded to his secretary.

I own an HDTV [12/30/07]

So do you guys think Halo 2 Vista could run on Windows 7?

• 01.08.2009 2:51 PM PDT

I could try right now for yah if you wanted me to. But I'm paranoid about spending my CD key again. It only can have so many attempts before it dies =\

Edit: Got it working, w3wt!

But not without a little bit of work. The game installed just fine, and I could launch the game just fine. But H2V has had a couple of Title Updates since its launch, and I needed to get an update for H2V, and an update for the GFWL (Games For Windows Live) redistributable.

When I tried to update, it would say it's downloading my profile, then it'd say an update is available. I'd hit "Yes, update.", and after a moment, it would complain I'm not connected to the Internet or something. When clearly, I am.

Since I'm dual-booting between Vista and W7, and have H2V installed on Vista, this was easily circumvented. Just copied all of .exe files from H2V's root directory in my Vista partition, and overwrote them on my Windows 7 one. Thus, updating the H2V files. I updates the GFWL files by copying any and all files with the word "xlive" in them. There were a few files, and a xlive folder in System32, and the files from AppData\local\XLive.

Basically, just copied the files from these folders on my Vista partition, and copied them over to the corresponding folders on my Windows 7 partition.

I copied all the files from Vista (I have Vista on drive J)

J:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Local\XLive (AppData is a hidden folder)
J:\Windows\System32\ - with any files that have "xlive" in them.
J:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo 2\ - copy any .exes/files (except maps/movies)

and overwrote them on my other partition. And that was pretty much it. GFWL was updated, and my profiles were there, too. Only problem being was that I was missing a DirectX (d3d.dll) file, so I simply copied it from one System32 to the other.

Just in case you guys wanted to know, or if anyone else wanted to try this out.

--

But yeap. It works ^_^

Edit 2.0: In the pic, I have Visual Setting disabled so I can save RAM. 1 GB of RAM is barely enough to run a resource hog like H2V.

[Edited on 01.08.2009 6:44 PM PST]

• 01.08.2009 4:46 PM PDT
  •  | 
  • Exalted Heroic Member

I'm tall, white, and male. Therefore I am automatically the bad guy.

This is the strangest thing to ever happen to me while playing Halo.

Yep, he's right. I run it just fine, heck it runs much smoother on the 7 Beta than Vista.

• 01.08.2009 8:41 PM PDT

Posted by: JT3999
Yep, he's right. I run it just fine, heck it runs much smoother on the 7 Beta than Vista.
Yeap, this is most true. On Vista, whenever I alt+tab out of H2V, my computer can't do anything for about 30 seconds - but can, oddly, be fixed by opening H2V again, and tabbing-out again.

Same deal goes for when exiting H2V. I have to wait for a while before Vista lets me do anything. On W7, alt+tabbing, and exiting out of H2V is just so quick. I can exit H2V, and get to my business instantly.

It's still a shame that H2V is a crappy port, though.

• 01.09.2009 8:52 AM PDT

Halo CE forever!

Not to disturb you too much but could you test if Halo works on the 7?

• 01.09.2009 9:12 AM PDT

Posted by: Lat3ksi
I see absolutely no reason why it shouldn't work on W7. But I <3 Halo PC (so much, I know my serial key by heart).

I'll try it out later, though. But don't be surprised by the results =P

• 01.09.2009 9:27 AM PDT
  • user homepage:

*All of the above is the opinion of the user: WartHogRacerman3. Complaints can be forwarded to his secretary.

I own an HDTV [12/30/07]

Thats what thought. Isn't Win 7 pretty much Vista, minus the fat?

• 01.09.2009 1:05 PM PDT

Posted by: WartHogRacerman3
Thats what thought. Isn't Win 7 pretty much Vista, minus the fat?
Mmmhmm, pretty much.

It mostly looks aesthetically the same - but it's a whole different beast. The UI just "feels"... so much cleaner, as well as being much more consistent than on Vista. And the taskbar is just <3

It also has some really, really damn cool new features - functional features, which I am already using. I won't bother to elaborate more on them - just go to Google, and look up "Windows 7 reviews" or something.

I am really digging this operating system. And would not consider it like Vista at all.

• 01.09.2009 1:47 PM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:
  • last post: 01.01.0001 12:00 AM PDT

Posted by: Bapabooiee
I see absolutely no reason why it shouldn't work on W7. But I <3 Halo PC (so much, I know my serial key by heart).

I thought that UT2004 would work on Vista but was in for a huge surprise when it didn't... I ended up just slapping in some Ubuntu since it runs like a beast on that system anyway. =D

• 01.10.2009 8:33 AM PDT

Now we're talking about Unreal Tournament and Leenucks? =\ I'm sorry, but from I can gauge from you post, you want to feel special for doing that =O

• 01.10.2009 10:57 AM PDT
  • user homepage:

I own an HDTV [12/30/07]

Well, thanks for answering my questions Bapabooiee. Now, too bad Halo 2 doesn't work on XP :(

• 01.10.2009 6:58 PM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:

Posted by: Lucian78
Posted by: Bapabooiee

I thought that UT2004 would work on Vista but was in for a huge surprise when it didn't... I ended up just slapping in some Ubuntu since it runs like a beast on that system anyway. =D

I haven't tried Halo2, yet, but i know that Halo Pc works just fine.

Oh and Lucian78, i never had a problem playing UT2k4 or even the original one for that matter on Vista and now on Windows 7 :D.

• 01.11.2009 12:32 AM PDT

My own website and clan
http://www.xgclan.com

confirmed halo combat evolved works fine on 32 bit build 7000.
i am going to test halo custom edition and halo combat evolved on 64 bit next week.

btw: it seems that games that use punkbuster don't run that great...
not sure.

but i couldn't get battlefield 2142 to work on the 32 bit build...

btw2: voice recognition is pretty sweet to start programs up:p
you just say start halo and it starts halo.

• 01.11.2009 1:58 AM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:

Since windows 7 uses vista drivers I am going to go out on the limb and say that it is compatible.

Confirming that it works on the 64bit version of Windows 7.

[Edited on 01.13.2009 5:06 PM PST]

• 01.11.2009 9:00 PM PDT

I've been playing H2V on Windows 7. Works just fine. And about that issue with the problem getting updates.. it was a probably a problem on my end, and you wouldn't really need a grimy fix like that.

=D

• 01.12.2009 12:49 PM PDT

(Bungie > 343i)

Yes it does.

• 01.13.2009 6:16 PM PDT

My own website and clan
http://www.xgclan.com

uch i copied all of those files now my game is activated...
but now it cries abbout some dll files which i can't find nor i know where to place them.(dwmappi.dll)
so how do i get this thing reactivated....

which dll files in the windows directory do i need tocopy?
exxept for the xlive

[Edited on 01.17.2009 2:36 AM PST]

• 01.16.2009 10:12 AM PDT

H1 and Halo Custom edition name: madkiller92
xfire:madkiller92

Why wouldn't it be compatible?

• 01.16.2009 1:25 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

I own an HDTV [12/30/07]

Posted by: madkiller92
Why wouldn't it be compatible?
Well the game is called Halo 2 Vista and Bungie said it would be Vista only. But, obviously^^ that's not the case.

• 01.17.2009 1:18 PM PDT

you may know me as X[IGN]

Posted by: Iggwilv

*hands Kim a crowbar*
Here you will need this to help you get your foot out of the back of your throat, looks llike its in there pretty deep. And what is that on your face? Egg?! *hands Kim a washcloth*

It was always meant to be vista and any other operating system released after.

• 01.17.2009 4:57 PM PDT

Posted by: staticx576
That thar is probably the simplest answer in the entire thread.

• 01.17.2009 5:23 PM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:

I am running Windows 7 64bit and I got Halo PC to run after having it run in Vista compatibility. Otherwise it would stat that I had no memory.

As for Halo Custom Edition. I have yet to get it to work, at all.

Does anyone have any info on this?

• 01.19.2009 9:32 PM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:

Ugh, I can't get Halo 2 to install in 7, I get this error:

The ordinal 125 could not be located in the dynamic link library dwmapi.dll.

And then the installer quits.

Bapabooiee, how did you install it? Did you do anything "special" to get it to work?

Compatibility mode doesn't work at all, neither does disabling glass.

[Edited on 01.22.2009 3:55 PM PST]

• 01.22.2009 3:22 PM PDT
  •  | 
  • Elder Legendary Member

Yes, I am a hypocrite, and I'm sorry. I really do mean well, but I'm not running on all cylinders.

Everytime someone buys a copy of Halo 2 Vista, a puppy dies.

Posted by: staticx576

Deliberately crippled so it won't run on XP.

• 01.22.2009 4:20 PM PDT

I had no problem installing H2V. I just ran the installer, and that was it.

I really have no idea what the problem could be =\

Posted by: The MAZZTer
Ugh, I can't get Halo 2 to install in 7, I get this error:

The ordinal 125 could not be located in the dynamic link library dwmapi.dll.

And then the installer quits.

Bapabooiee, how did you install it? Did you do anything "special" to get it to work?

• 01.22.2009 4:29 PM PDT

• Pages:
  • of 2