Bungie Universe
This topic has moved here: Subject: HALO BOOKS AND THEIR ACTUAL ORDER
  • Subject: HALO BOOKS AND THEIR ACTUAL ORDER
Subject: HALO BOOKS AND THEIR ACTUAL ORDER

Alright there are a lot of different opinions on what chronological order the books go in. I really would like to know their actual order. From what I've read and what I understand of what I have read this is the order:

Contact Harvest
The Cole Protocol
The Fall of Reach
The Flood / Halo Combat Evolved (game)
First Strike
Halo 2 (game)
Ghosts of Onyx
Halo 3 (game)

If anybody knows for sure if this is the correct order or if things are switched. Any help would be great. Thanks.

• 06.08.2009 9:00 PM PST

Discipline is my Sword,
Faith is my Shield,
Do not leap blindly into uncertainty,
And you may live to reap the rewards.

"The Important Thing Is To Never Stop Questioning,"

That is the chronological order, as in time line, but not the order published. Also some of the events in Fall of Reach actually occur before and/or during Contact Harvest and so on. The end of the book sets up The Flood, but everything before that is jumbled throughout the time line.

• 06.08.2009 9:03 PM PST

--Dear Father, I've been waiting, I've saved you a seat in hell
--I live to see death, destruction, over the light, but the light cannot be extinguished...
A More Complete Compendium of a Bungie History
-Thanatos 117

Well most of the books jump around in different points in history so they can't really be put into chronological order. But they were released in a much different order:

The Fall of Reach
The Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Contact Harvest
The Cole Protocol

Chronological timeline of Halo events color coded for what information came from what source for your convenience

[Edited on 06.08.2009 9:07 PM PDT]

• 06.08.2009 9:03 PM PST

Thank you snowmanaxt. I've already read fall of reach and part of the flood but I want to read through them in chronological order though. Also I know that there are details in Ghosts of Onyx that hint that the planet they are flying towards at the end of Halo 3 is Onyx and something about Dr. Halsey and Spartans being on that planet. Thanks for all your help.

• 06.08.2009 9:12 PM PST

I who walk alone in this world wrapped in the arms of the past not knowing what lies ahead of me. What am I? A soulless being to be beaten by the rage of those who hate me? Cutting my way past hopes and dreams. Sit in the window sill as I do every day and night resignations on my slate of who I am and what is left behind. Concealed in the words that chases my every thought. I who walk alone in this world…I am broken

Posted by: Thanatos 117
Well most of the books jump around in different points in history so they can't really be put into chronological order. But they were released in a much different order:

The Fall of Reach
The Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Contact Harvest
The Cole Protocol

Chronological timeline of Halo events color coded for what information came from what source for your convenience
I just got done reading the fall of reach and i thought it was good moving on to the flood later this week

• 06.08.2009 9:26 PM PST

--I live to see death, destruction, over the light, but the light cannot be extinguished...
-Thanatos 117

Posted by: Kage24Neko
I just got done reading the fall of reach and i thought it was good moving on to the flood later this week

I don't think The Flood was as good as The Fall of Reach personally so don't judge the rest of the books on it, but it's still a pretty good read. Here is my personal favorite in order from best to least as an outline for the Halo reader beginner as something to go off. Again pure opinion:

The Fall of Reach
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
The Cole Protocol
The Flood
Contact Harvest

• 06.08.2009 9:42 PM PST

Posted by: A W 0 0 K I E E
Contact Harvest
The Cole Protocol
The Fall of Reach
First Strike
Halo 2 (game)
Ghosts of Onyx
Halo 3 (game)
This is correct, but there is a good amount of overlap between Halo 2 and Ghosts of Onyx.

• 06.08.2009 10:36 PM PST

Thats Right I Was Banned For Watching The Webcams Too Much!Combat Arms - X647"He who'd walk a mile just to hold an empty hand, knows what it means to be a wealthy man."
Skin This Place Alive...

undo the all caps title and this might stay around a while to be useful to other members

P.S. I go all my halo books in audio format...fun listening to J.S read his book!

• 06.08.2009 10:52 PM PST

The Fall of Reach
The Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Contact Harvest
The Cole Protocol

The books i believe are more understandable if read in this order, rather than chronologically by time period.

• 06.08.2009 11:17 PM PST

I who walk alone in this world wrapped in the arms of the past not knowing what lies ahead of me. What am I? A soulless being to be beaten by the rage of those who hate me? Cutting my way past hopes and dreams. Sit in the window sill as I do every day and night resignations on my slate of who I am and what is left behind. Concealed in the words that chases my every thought. I who walk alone in this world…I am broken

Posted by: PKF_647
undo the all caps title and this might stay around a while to be useful to other members

P.S. I go all my halo books in audio format...fun listening to J.S read his book!
Ohh were did you get the audio books at dude?

• 06.09.2009 3:59 PM PST

Join the 501st United. Go to my groups and join. It's awesome because it's very active. Make sure you join and be active in the group!

The full list of everything is (including the upcoming forerunner trilogy):
1. The Forerunner Trilogy
2. The Cole Protocol
3.Contact Harvest
4. Halo:Helljumper issues 1-5 (I'm just making an assumption with this comic's place in the timeline)
5. The Fall of Reach
6.Halo: Combat Evolved/The Flood
7.Halo: First Strike
8.Halo 3: ODST/Halo 2
9.Halo:Uprising issues 1-4/ Halo:Uprising Hardcover collection
10. Halo: Ghosts of Onyx
11. Halo 3

[Edited on 06.09.2009 4:39 PM PDT]

• 06.09.2009 4:39 PM PST

-Thanatos 117

Well if you're going to include comics and all then don't forget the Halo Graphic Novel, Halo: Spartan Black, Halo 3: The Cradle of Life, and Halo Wars: Genesis. Then there is the ARG's: The Cortana Letters,all the transmissions, I Love Bees, and Iris. Bottom line is: there's alot out there now.

• 06.09.2009 4:53 PM PST

Suck it Red!

The Fall of Reach
The Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Contact Harvest
The Cole Protocol

Thats pretty detailed, I read it all.

[Edited on 06.09.2009 8:31 PM PDT]

• 06.09.2009 8:31 PM PST

28, Architect ll Deviantart ll TWP(Formerly Halo 3 in the WorkPLace) - Assistant Director ll SIP ll OTK ll DMH

Comprehensive List and Details of the Halo Novels and Comics, top forum topic >>>. Cites all available Halo reading material.

• 06.09.2009 10:36 PM PST

Thats Right I Was Banned For Watching The Webcams Too Much!Combat Arms - X647"He who'd walk a mile just to hold an empty hand, knows what it means to be a wealthy man."
Skin This Place Alive...

Posted by: Kage24Neko
Posted by: PKF_647

Ohh were did you get the audio books at dude?

You can buy them from amazon.com, and my mistake, its not J.S reading it...its a woman reading his book (contact harvest)

• 06.09.2009 11:50 PM PST

-blam!- GTFO OF MY SIGNATURE

Posted by: A W 0 0 K I E E
Alright there are a lot of different opinions on what chronological order the books go in. I really would like to know their actual order. From what I've read and what I understand of what I have read this is the order:

Contact Harvest
The Cole Protocol
The Fall of Reach
First Strike
Halo 2 (game)
Ghosts of Onyx
Halo 3 (game)

If anybody knows for sure if this is the correct order or if things are switched. Any help would be great. Thanks.

You forgot Halo: Uprising, and Halo wars. And didn't parts of TFoR happen before everything?

• 06.10.2009 5:21 AM PST

Posted by: Wildcard1992

You forgot Halo: Uprising, and Halo wars. And didn't parts of TFoR happen before everything?

Yes, techinically TFoR starts before Contact Harvest, when Keyes is just a junior lieutenant and John 117 is a child.

• 06.10.2009 10:18 AM PST