Halo 3 Forum
This topic has moved here: Subject: How to prevent DoS attacks on Xbox Live! Never get host booted again!
  • Subject: How to prevent DoS attacks on Xbox Live! Never get host booted again!
Subject: How to prevent DoS attacks on Xbox Live! Never get host booted again!

"The Kharma Police are coming This is what you get, when you mess with us and for a minute there, I lost myself."

"HLG isn't about Hiding when your winning. HLG is about winning and NEVER BEING SEEN."

-Frigbee Hidden Rangers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzSkrqIb6G8

Whether you know it as Host Booted, DoSed, or Knocked Offline; getting attacked in high level ranked games is becoming easier to do and harder to prevent.

It seems like every other game of high level Squad or MLG, and even Team Slayer there is always some illegit code kiddie who has the ability to boot people offline.

I am going to tell you how it is done and how to stop it from happening to you!

How is this done?

I must first state that somone who can "knock you offline" is not intelligent nor are that a "hacker" or "haxor" they are more then likely a BK who has limited enough knowledge to perform a DOS attack which they probably convinced a friend to teach them to do. There are a VARIETY of ways to accomplish this and even a 6 year old could do most of these:

BOTS
First people can spread what they call "Bots" which are viruses that create zombie pcs who can be used to conduct Distributed Denial of Service attacks. Basically the person take control of a number of computers and funnels them into one ip as an attack to knock their internet offline. Unfortunately it has become so easy to do this kind of attack that bots are not even required to be spread. There are websites offering access to already active bots for 20-30 dollars. This is unfortunate and it shows the deviance involved in this type of attack.

Host Boot
Host booting is when a person is brigded host then uses this host with a virtual firewall to deny individual IP's access to the host IP. This makes the person get kicked out of the game sometimes moving them to a Matrix style train station which puts them by themselves in their own game.

UDP Flood
This is a simple method in which a person with a very strong UPLOAD speed can send packet floods via Ping requests to a specific ip. This is the easiest method but least effective because it requires that the individual being attacked has a very low connection speed to get booted offline.

How to stop this?????

There are only 2 ways to stop this currently.

STOP USING CRAPPY INTERNET!
First boosting up your internet speed to have VERY high down and upload speeds minimum above 15mb/sdown and 5mb/s upload. The only thing this will accomplish is it will make you lag badly during the attack which you will have to endure until it ends. In these cases you may not get kicked offline but you will lag bad!

GET A VPN SERVICE
Using a VPN service was a great trick used by foreign people who wanted access to services on xbox live like Netflix ect. Using a service like this one can use your PC as a "Virtual Router" enabling you to modify your IP address. This basically makes you IP different so if the attacker tries to DoS you out they will hit a high end firewall at the VPN center which will stop their flood attack cold. These services run from 5-15 dollars a month and are a great option if this kind of attack is causing you grief.

http://filesharefreak.com/2008/10/18/total-anonymity-a-list-o f-vpn-service-providers/

and

I personally reccomend
http://www.hidemyass.com/vpn/

• 02.12.2010 9:54 AM PDT

Everything here is false. Even half of the definitions sound like they came from a stupid script kiddie who has no idea what a 1k net can do to a -blam!- VPN. lrn2readkiddo.

No one should even give this the time of a read.

[Edited on 02.12.2010 10:01 AM PST]

• 02.12.2010 9:59 AM PDT

"The Kharma Police are coming This is what you get, when you mess with us and for a minute there, I lost myself."

"HLG isn't about Hiding when your winning. HLG is about winning and NEVER BEING SEEN."

-Frigbee Hidden Rangers

Posted by: IVI 1 A 1
Everything here is false. Even half of the definitions sound like they came from a stupid script kiddie who has no idea what a 1k net can do to a -blam!- VPN. lrn2readkiddo.

No one should even give this the time of a read.

First of all a every good VPN as with every good server has access lists that automatically detect Denial of Service attacks and block that ip almost instantly. A real server is invunerable to any type of DoS attack.

A bit of background on myself.

I have been hacking since the mid 90's and after I got in trouble in High School for DoSing out a web hosting server using my schools systems I stopped doing illegal activities that could be traced back to me. I have been a subscriber to the 2600 Hacker Quarterly since the mid 90's also and I reccomend it as a good read to anyone interested in being involved in the real hacker community. Unlike the code kiddie wanna be hackers fo today most hackers are interested in hacking purely out of curiosity and mostly work with network security making good money. I myself have a degree in network engineering and am Cisco Certified and I work as a Network Admin for a Pharmaceutical Company.

How to spot a fake hacker. First they will not know what the 2600 Quarterly is. Any real hacker not only knows about this magazine but religiously subscribes to it. In every state meetings are also held monthly the first friday of every month where you can meet other hackers in your own hometown.

Remember that BK's who DoS people offline or convince stupid people to give them their account login are not hackers they are just lonely pitiful people who know little to nothing about real computer security.

Do not fall victim to these dumb attacks protect yourself!

[Edited on 02.12.2010 10:23 AM PST]

• 02.12.2010 10:03 AM PDT

(") (-_-) (")

Posted by: Frigbee
I have been hacking since the mid 90's

LOL

have been a subscriber to the 2600 Hacker Quarterly since the mid 90's
Moar LOL

I myself have a degree in network engineering and am Cisco Certified.
Get a J O B

• 02.12.2010 10:18 AM PDT

-Frigbee Hidden Rangers

I myself have a degree in network engineering and am Cisco Certified and I work as a Network Admin for a Pharmaceutical Company.

• 02.12.2010 10:24 AM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:
  • last post: 01.01.0001 12:00 AM PDT

Or you can set up a free VPN

http://computersight.com/communication-networks/security/sett ing-up-a-vpn-to-hide-your-ip-address-and-secure-connections/

You stole this thread from DF Destruction he posted months ago.

Also this is a great article.
http://gameolosophy.com/games/action/halo/play-halo-3-online-w ith-less-lag-and-get-a-50/

[Edited on 02.12.2010 10:27 AM PST]

• 02.12.2010 10:26 AM PDT

-Frigbee Hidden Rangers

I assure you I did not steal this thread but if there was another who posted previously then I will give credit for he adressed the issue first.

DF Destructions original post with his explaination as to how to prevent DDOS:

"DDoS Prevention:

The best thing you can do is to know the settings of your modem/router. Change your Username/Password, that is how they get "bots". Also ensure your firewall is up to date, that can stop some forms of DDoS."

As you can see his "method" to prevent DoS attacks is nothing close to mine....

Note:

With Free hosted VPN you will not likely get the types of speeds for adequate gameplay that you would with a paid service.

[Edited on 02.12.2010 10:55 AM PST]

• 02.12.2010 10:34 AM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:

OK I am DF Destruction and

I assure you I did not steal this thread but if there was another who posted previously then I will give credit for he adressed the issue first.

DF Destructions original post with his explaination as to how to prevent DDOS:

"DDoS Prevention:

With Free hosted VPN you will not likely get the types of speeds for adequate gameplay that you would with a paid service.

That was not my thread but you probably know that and you have misinformation and you know nothing about networking.

Host Boot/DDoS
Host booting is just when somone user a program such as DDoSer and does a DDoS attack on your Xbox port untill you lag out.

Bots:
While a DDoSer is the program used you need to spread or buy bots bots run for about 5-10 (3-5 dollars will get you enough bots to boot) cents each and arround 50 can lag out almost any connection (assuming the bots are not dial up)

The bot turns into a zombie that does what the host tells it to do.

VPN's would only hide your PC connection not your IP Address and they will get your IP from your xbox still.

My post was removed from the forums because some idiot said it was a phishing site or w/e when it was a tutorial or I would post to it.

You do not need host to host boot if you think otherwise you are retarded. UDP Attacks are weak and uncommon but while on host you can make yourself lag with the UDP attack and it would simulate standbying/lagswitch.

I think its funny how you steal my thread, post and even upload it on the same site (Triond)

• 02.12.2010 12:47 PM PDT

-Frigbee Hidden Rangers

Posted by: cHaoZ Control

Host Boot/DDoS
Host booting is just when somone user a program such as DDoSer and does a DDoS attack on your Xbox port untill you lag out.

I did not steal your thread first off becsause it does not exist.

"Host booting is just when somone user a program"

You mean when they USE? a program? Host booting IS different from a DDoS. Host booting is when the bridged host of a game uses a virtual firewall and blocks a specific IP from in game which puts that individual in a ghost lobby giving them a DNF. This is easily trackable and will lead to a ban rapidly.

Bots:
While a DDoSer is the program used you need to spread or buy bots bots run for about 5-10 (3-5 dollars will get you enough bots to boot) cents each and arround 50 can lag out almost any connection (assuming the bots are not dial up)

The bot turns into a zombie that does what the host tells it to do.

A DDoS aka Distributed Denial of Service is a fancy term for taking control of a number of computers with kiddie code viruses which usually are detectable by even the simplest virus software. The reason that the "Code Kiddies" take control of the computers is to turn them into Zombies or "BOTS" which are both terms for the exact same thing. The available systems are then used (if and when they are even turned on and online) to send packets of information request to a specific IP address flooding them until they become unavailable.

Without access to an IP address one cannot conduct a DoS or DDoS attack.

VPN's would only hide your PC connection not your IP Address and they will get your IP from your xbox still.

A VPN is like a proxy it displays a different IP to the world. This is done because you force your Internet to directly route to this VPN Router before going anywhere else.

People in europe have been using VPN for years now to gain access to xbox live content available only to the United States. They basically make their IP appear as if it is from the US even if they are in Germany.

If one has a pc with a properly setup VPN one runs the Xbox INTO the PC directly or buys a router with VPN support one can easily connect to a VPN through xbox live. The preferred method to do this is Via Linux Box because the routing is simpler to setup but there is a variety of software available for Windows 7 which is all but DUMMY PROOF.

I should not have to describe this to you in detail but I hope that you learn something from this. Code Kiddies can be quite entertaining on xbox live but on Bnet it gets quite annoying.

A VPN does make your IP different and anyone who see's your ip (including xbox live) will see the IP of the VPN server you are routing through. Since these server have access lists that prevent DoS and DDoS attacks it is impossible to shut them down or suffer any DoS attacks while using a VPN.

FYI Denial of Service and Distributed Denial of Service attacks even on xbox live are considered cyber terrorism. At some point one of these code kiddies will try to hit a website or something and get thrown in the can.

-Cheers to you

PS: I have a Bachelors in Network Engineering from ECU. I am Cisco Certified and I work full-time as a network admin. I am 26 and have been building and repairing computers since 286's were the newest tech available. When I was a freshman in high school I infiltrated my schools database to find out a guy I disliked middle name was Frances. I then spread this around making him laughing stock. I have been doing networking since before you were born. Please feel free to ask me any more questions if you have any and I will be sure to give you informed and educated answers.

Thanks again,

-Frigbee

• 02.12.2010 10:39 PM PDT
  • gamertag: [none]
  • user homepage:

Your advice is to get 15mb down/5mb up? Find me a connection in the UK that offers that service for a reasonable price. Until then, jog on.

• 02.12.2010 10:42 PM PDT

Please feel free to ask me any more questions if you have any and I will be sure to give you informed and educated answers.

Anyone with internet access can do the same if they really want to, that doesn't exactly prove much beyond the fact that you either

1. Might actually know what you're talking about
or
2. Know how to use google

• 02.12.2010 10:49 PM PDT

Take a step back with me and enjoy a taste of the bittersweet that is our current generation.

I enjoy Battlefield and Call of Duty, and Gears of War.

20 years old, manager of my family's business, aspiring officer of the law.

I love anything political.

Posted by: Sublyme
I r super script kiddie!!!

But seriously, everything he posted here is legitimate. The only problem with VPNs are the added ping time.

• 02.12.2010 10:50 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Regardless of advice given, script kiddies will continue to google their way to cheating legitimate players because they have nothing better to do with their Saturdays.

• 02.12.2010 10:54 PM PDT
  •  | 
  • Fabled Legendary Member

Setting up a VPN is a bad idea, as it will probably make you lag more.

• 02.12.2010 11:00 PM PDT

-Frigbee Hidden Rangers

Posted by: Sublyme
I r super script kiddie!!!

But seriously, everything he posted here is legitimate. The only problem with VPNs are the added ping time.

I too see the issue that this raises. There are some VPN services that run 15$ a month that have little to no effect on down/up speeds.

If we can play people in the UK from the US, Canada, and even play the French with only slight lag I do not see an issue with this.

I personally have experienced no lag having done this and it is quite entertaining when kiddies talk of "knocking me offline" and fail to be able to complete this task.

If nothing else it is an alternative and it shows that Microsoft can fix this issue which has caused a media frenzy as of recent. It is completely possible for Microsoft to fix matchmaking so that all IP's filter through main HUBs centered around various geographic areas closest to the user. This would cost money though and they are not willing to do this currently.

• 02.12.2010 11:00 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

DoS, or host boot have nothing to do with DDoSing or "hitting offline".

Host booting has no prevention, other than using a VPN, I think.

• 02.12.2010 11:10 PM PDT
  • user homepage:

Posted by: absol567
Posted by: wolvmatt
...then you're stupid. How does it feel to be stupid?

i dont now you tell me dumb ass

Yes, you do. Don't lie.

PS: I have a Bachelors in Network Engineering from ECU. I am Cisco Certified and I work full-time as a network admin. I am 26 and have been building and repairing computers since 286's were the newest tech available. When I was a freshman in high school I infiltrated my schools database to find out a guy I disliked middle name was Frances. I then spread this around making him laughing stock. I have been doing networking since before you were born. Please feel free to ask me any more questions if you have any and I will be sure to give you informed and educated answers.

Thanks again,

-Frigbee

My friend turned his school server into a zombie as a part of his botnet. =)

• 02.13.2010 12:37 AM PDT

Posted by: mrziggles
Your advice is to get 15mb down/5mb up? Find me a connection in the UK that offers that service for a reasonable price. Until then, jog on.

And in Finland?
lol

• 02.13.2010 1:04 AM PDT
  • gamertag:
  • user homepage:

A VPN does make your IP different and anyone who see's your ip (including xbox live) will see the IP of the VPN server you are routing through. Since these server have access lists that prevent DoS and DDoS attacks it is impossible to shut them down or suffer any DoS attacks while using a VPN.

Alright if you bridge your connection to your xbox from your pc you could do this (makes ur xbox slower) and the VPN would slow you down slightly but if you wanna have less lag just use DMZ on your router (you probably have no idea how to change router settings.

You mean when they USE? a program? Host booting IS different from a DDoS. Host booting is when the bridged host of a game uses a virtual firewall and blocks a specific IP from in game which puts that individual in a ghost lobby giving them a DNF. This is easily trackable and will lead to a ban rapidly.

That is Bridging people out of the game host booting is a DDoS attack.

I have a botnet server (IRC botnet server) I could use as a host booter as it is pretty much the same. I have over 500 bots (which actually isnt very much) I think I know more about DDoS and botnet.

I have DDoSer 3.4 with arround 50ish bots but I use that only to get firefox passwords and sell them.

I sell bots occasionally but the real money is selling passwords or hitting websites (I don'thit websites)

I do not use my booters on XBOX I have them for informational purposes.

PS: I have a Bachelors in Network Engineering from ECU. I am Cisco Certified and I work full-time as a network admin. I am 26 and have been building and repairing computers since 286's were the newest tech available.

And if that is true you still know less then networking then an 18yr old who dropped out of community college.

[Edited on 02.13.2010 6:30 AM PST]

• 02.13.2010 6:27 AM PDT

That connection is wimpy compared to someone's connection I saw that lived in England.

• 02.13.2010 6:49 AM PDT
  • user homepage:

Posted by: yerfdog1935

That connection is wimpy compared to someone's connection I saw that lived in England.

Find me a 5mb upload for less than say, £35 a month?

• 02.13.2010 6:57 AM PDT