Now that you've had a full day to get familiarized with Halo 3: ODST's campaign and Firefight offerings, we figured it was time to show you the ropes here at B.net.
We've got statistics and leaderboards so you can see just how well you're doing, charts and graphs to recap your glory at a glance (and make it easy to sort through the gigantic pile of numbers), and if you're into sharing, screenshots and films so you can show off in style. And of course, if you're looking for a fancy new suit of armor, we've prepped your own personal mechanism to unlock Recon for use in Halo 3's traditional multiplayer.
You've heard about Recon, right? Our stats guru, Michael Williams, informs us that only 4,025 of you have pulled the trigger so far. Seems like some of you might need a small amount of help snagging the required achievements. Let's take a little trip down...
The Road to Recon
You want it, you got it. As of right now, all you have to do to earn yourself some sweet Recon is snag all of the Vidmaster achievements available through both Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST. There’s seven of ‘em, of course. You might have snagged one or two already during the quality time you've been spending with Halo 3. If not, here’s the rundown of the full compliment of Vidmaster Challenge achievements:
- Vidmaster Challenge - Lightswitch: Get the rank of Lieutenant in any playlist in the new EXP progression system.
- Vidmaster Challenge - Annual: Complete Halo on 4-player Legendary LIVE co-op, with Iron, and everyone in Ghosts.
- Vidmaster Challenge - 7 on 7: Enter into a ranked or social playlist with 7 EXP on the 7th of the month.
- Vidmaster Challenge - Brainpan: Find all the hidden skulls on the Mythic maps.
Halo 3: ODST
- Vidmaster Challenge - Endure: In Firefight, on any mission, pass the 4th set on 4-player Heroic LIVE co-op.
- Vidmaster Challenge - Deja Vu: Complete Coastal Highway on 4-player Legendary LIVE co-op, with Iron, and no 'Hog or Scorpion.
- Vidmaster Challenge - Classic: Finish any level solo on Legendary, on LIVE, with no shots fired or grenades thrown.
For those players who've hit a few potholes along the Road to Recon, here’s a handful of tips and tricks from Halo 3: ODST designers Lars Bakken and Dan Miller to help you get back on the right track:
4. Brainpan: With the release of ODST, players can finally earn the final Halo 3 Vidmaster achievement. Fire up a Forge game in any all three new maps and start searching for skulls. Have fun.
5. Endure: This might end up being pretty tough for a lot of players. Choose a Firefight mission that you know well and prepare for the long haul. This Achievement can take almost two hours to complete, and it's no cake walk. You must be on Heroic or above and survive 4 Sets, with 4 players on Xbox LIVE. Choose your teammates carefully, as you'll be getting to know them very well. Good luck.
6. Déjà vu: Scorpions and Warthogs are out, don’t even get in them. Looks like you’ll have to find another ride!
7. Classic: Another tough Vidmaster that challenges the player to choose the level and then get through it without firing a shot or throwing a grenade... on Legendary. Get ready to punch a lot of dudes in the face.
Of course, these tips mean a whole lot of nothin' if you don't have a Bungie.net account linked up to your Xbox LIVE gamertag. You'll need a working profile if you want Recon. If you already have one, skip to the next section. If you don't, click on the link below to get started. (And if you're having problems remembering your Windows LIVE ID password, call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX for support.)
Bungie Pro & Bungie Pro Video
Bungie Pro is an add-on service that enhances your gaming experience. It increases your File Share limit so you can show off more of your own personal custom content and enables Bungie Pro Video so you can turn your Saved Films and Film Clips into videos that can be played right from your computer and shared on the web.
For those wondering if Halo 3: ODST will be supported, the answer is yes
. Not only will you get access to the very same File Share enhancements offered by Bungie Pro, but our web team has also created a custom offering to allow your Campaign and Firefight Bungie Pro Video to be caught on film and played back on your computer screen.
Using Bungie Pro Video, you’ll be able to pinpoint any campaign or Firefight video you have in your File Share, select the player you wish to record, and provide a time stamp, start to finish, to signify where your desired clip should be shot from. The Bungie Pro Video system will take care of the rest.
This offerings isn't live quite yet, but when we turn it on, we'll let you know. Details, as always, are subject to change. When we have them pinned down, we'll pin them up so you can get a good look.
Here’s an example of a Halo 3: ODST video we found in our community files collection
and rendered internally:
Bungie.net Halo 3: ODST Integration
Of course, we’re also offering a wealth of career statistical information, access to unprecedented custom content, and a whole heaping pile of community-focused features here at Bungie.net to help you get even more out of your Halo 3: ODST and Halo 3: Mythic experience. If you're unfamiliar with Bungie.net's already robust online offerings, or just want to get up to speed on the latest additions, click on the link below.
If you still have questions about Halo 3: ODST or Halo 3: Mythic, the official FAQ is linked inline as well.